BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many cameras’ out there. Really hard to choose. We have done some comparisons and gotten a lot of feedback over the years. Put together some details and specifics on some of the most popular ones and thought I would share them. GoPro gets lots of attention, but there are some other great cameras out there. Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Sport Action Camera: Which One is Right for YOU?

May help as you are looking for gift ideas!

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
I use Contour... Contour Action Cameras - Official Website

I like how well they hide when on a bike or car.
The quality and functionality is better than GoPro.
GoPro has knocked it out of the park with marketing...
However, why would you want an ugly square in a plastic cast hanging off of a bike.

Here in NC. The Five-O knows to look for cameras.
I want mine to go unnoticed. There are sometimes a lot of infractions on it.

Good luck. Everyone has their favorite.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Here in NC. The Five-O knows to look for cameras.
I want mine to go unnoticed. There are sometimes a lot of infractions on it.
Uhhh, I have no idea what this means.... :confused:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dang! How old are you?
In the seventies there was a TV show called Hawaii Five-O. It was a police detective show. This show was resurrected a few years ago.
Slang for the police is Five-O.
If a police officer stops you for speeding and sees a camera, he is allowed to view the footage on the camera...
Here in mountains, it is very easy to rack up a lot of infractions, like passing on a double yellow.
The NC state wide speed limit is 55mph, but most tourist are going 30mph there are no passing zones. Are you going to follow or pass?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dang! How old are you?
In the seventies there was a TV show called Hawaii Five-O. It was a police detective show. This show was resurrected a few years ago.
Slang for the police is Five-O.
If a police officer stops you for speeding and sees a camera, he is allowed to view the footage on the camera...
Here in mountains, it is very easy to rack up a lot of infractions, like passing on a double yellow.
The NC state wide speed limit is 55mph, but most tourist are going 30mph there are no passing zones. Are you going to follow or pass?
I can't speak for JNW003, but I knew what you meant by Five-O, had no idea what you meant about keeping the camera hidden. Here in GA we don't have that law. I do ride in NC though, so that's good to know. I don't ride with a Go Pro, but I know a few guys who do and I'll pass it on.

·
Registered
787 Posts
In reference to cameras please do me a favor. If you post a video of you riding somewhere, please edit it. It floors me how many guys post beautiful scenic twisting road riding videos with no subtitles or voice overs telling you where they are or whats going on. Also thirty minutes of watching someones endless riding is way to long and after two minutes I click off, boring! Granted it is a lot of work to get lots of interesting shots and add commentary but without it you only need to post two minutes of just riding footage. What makes an interesting video besides the voice over is the different shots. Setting the camera on the road for a ride bys, showing rear facing shots, moving camera to different positions on the bike and doing panaramic shots of the scenery make the video a winner. I just saw a drone commercial that will automatically follow you and the camera stays trained on you where ever you go, would that be cool to ride the bike with a drone shooting from above as you ride a mountain road. I'm sure that would create many problems, trees, cops, people crashing as they pass you by staring at the UFO following the motorcycle, but that would be a cool video.

Ok enough ranting just thought I'd give my 2 cents on the matter.

:rant:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't normally mount a camera to an LT... It is just too slow.
But here is an example of one of my VFRs.
When I get stopped the helmet goes on top of the camera and the gloves go on the radar detector.
Knock on wood, I have never been stopped thanks to the radar detector.

Kind of the same thing on the 848.
Helmet comes off and goes on the camera mount and gloves go over the detector.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Amen to Norton's comments. It's absolutely crazy how many people post videos of their rides and it's 30 minutes of starting at the road passing by and the sound of an engine running or some retarded techno music.

·
IBR# 366
16,543 Posts
I like the idea of a small drone set to automatically follow your route. But I do have some questions.

How much weight could such a drone carry?

What does a small camera weigh?

Could I get a small screen tied to that camera in real time and mount it on the bike?

How much does a V1 weigh?

That sure does raise some interesting possibilities . . . :bike:

·
Registered
676 Posts
In reference to cameras please do me a favor. If you post a video of you riding somewhere, please edit it. It floors me how many guys post beautiful scenic twisting road riding videos with no subtitles or voice overs telling you where they are or whats going on. Also thirty minutes of watching someones endless riding is way to long and after two minutes I click off, boring! Granted it is a lot of work to get lots of interesting shots and add commentary but without it you only need to post two minutes of just riding footage. What makes an interesting video besides the voice over is the different shots. Setting the camera on the road for a ride bys, showing rear facing shots, moving camera to different positions on the bike and doing panaramic shots of the scenery make the video a winner. I just saw a drone commercial that will automatically follow you and the camera stays trained on you where ever you go, would that be cool to ride the bike with a drone shooting from above as you ride a mountain road. I'm sure that would create many problems, trees, cops, people crashing as they pass you by staring at the UFO following the motorcycle, but that would be a cool video.

Ok enough ranting just thought I'd give my 2 cents on the matter.

:rant:
Those are some great ideas! Have you ever edited video? I have created many videos and it can easily take at least 1 hour per finished minute to create what you are talking about. Add in some more things to make it interesting and it can be 2-3+ hours per finished minute of video. That's not counting the time to shoot the multiple angles, especially if you have only 1 camera.

Great ideas though and maybe I will give them a try some time. I have a GoPro and like it a lot. If the lighting is good, some good amateur video can be captured with the new iPhones as well. I have video from dives in Hawaii i still need to work on and edit but don't have the time...ugh.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I like the idea of a small drone set to automatically follow your route. But I do have some questions.

How much weight could such a drone carry?

What does a small camera weigh?

Could I get a small screen tied to that camera in real time and mount it on the bike?

How much does a V1 weigh?

That sure does raise some interesting possibilities . . . :bike:
All of that can be done if price is no object. A custom high quality drone can start at about $2,500 - then, start adding on the elements you want on it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If anybody wants to go cheap I just picked one up from Walmart on sale or clearance them out for 35 dollars its a Air Pro HD Sports Video Camera its is good durable water proof From what little I been playing with its great picture and vid going to mount it to my helmet Its the blue and black one its HP 1080 Its a metal barrel one ,waterproof to 30ft. Dimensions 4.25 by 1.57 round
Just throwing it out there

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pretty sure the drone couldn't keep up...:histerica
Actually drones can do most typical road speed limits. obviously wind, trees, trucks, signs, wires and many other issues would make this a difficult task. Also regarding the one I saw advertised on TV, I did not get the manufacturers name to check out the drones specification but wonder if it could follow a bike at 50 or 60 mph which is a typical twisty road speed. the other issue is that the FAA is working on limitations which will be placed on drones. Also privacy concerns are probably gong to cause additional restrictions and the liability if the drone hurts someone or damages property. They are cool but with all that said I'll do with out one.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Those are some great ideas! Have you ever edited video? I have created many videos and it can easily take at least 1 hour per finished minute to create what you are talking about. Add in some more things to make it interesting and it can be 2-3+ hours per finished minute of video. That's not counting the time to shoot the multiple angles, especially if you have only 1 camera.

Great ideas though and maybe I will give them a try some time. I have a GoPro and like it a lot. If the lighting is good, some good amateur video can be captured with the new iPhones as well. I have video from dives in Hawaii i still need to work on and edit but don't have the time...ugh.
I have watched way to many you tube videos and have never edited because I do not own a go pro or the like, but I do realize editing is a lot of work from comments the videographers have stated on how time consuming it is. I only know when you watch a video that someone took the time to think it out and edit they can be very entertaining and even inspiring.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Those are really cool videos from the drone. Battery life is short. And, those great roads winding through the trees won't work at all. Want to fly the little drone in the video in a 15+mph wind and forget about it. You will be walking through the fields looking for your drone, trying to figure out when it quit following you. The good news: the technology is progressing fast and hopefully in a few years a viable option will be available.

I was in Shenzhen, China this summer at a massive technology building. I was talking with a young man who works for a big tech company building drones, while visiting a booth selling all the parts to build your own drones. Another guy from India was there in the conversation and had visited a drone production facility that morning that creates high dollar drones starting at about $5,000 for the basics. It was an interesting conversation.

My drone got caught in a nice 30mph gust and went to visit my neighbors dog. I kept looking at the camera to try to find it with no luck. Turns out the dog decided to eat the drone and chewed into a mangle mess...lol

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Not sure of what states allow a LEO to look at your video footage without legitimate probable cause.

If you are riding the twisties and riding like an idiot, excessive speed, passing in an unsafe manner, or menacing other drivers and/or riders who don't share your view of how the road should be used, then shame on you. The camera may be what lets your family know how you died. I hope it does not happen to you this way, and if it does, I pray that you don't take anyone with you as you deepen the gene pool.

:wink:

Personally, I like the GoPro because of the availability of accessories, mounts, etc for it. Image quality is nice. What I don't like about the GoPro is their price-fixing approach to the market. Technically, they don't fix the price, they just exercise their right to sell to only dealers who agree to M.A.P. and other prescribed pricing policies. I have seen this in other industries in the past, SCUBA retail good being one of them. Hate it.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Once a year, REI issues a 20% discount for any purchase for it's members. I bought my GoPro Hero 3+ Black for an $80 discount off list price, but verified before the purchase that I could use the discount.

p.s. - I've never heard of LEOs referred to as Five-0's in California. East coast people must have adopted this Hawaiian term....

:bmw:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Paul, Thanks for the video find. I find drone video captivating, I guess its mans dream to fly like a bird which as a kid I would dream I was flying quite often. The advancement in technology is amazing and the future will have an explosion of more mind blowing technological advancements. I watched several videos of guys racing drones through abandoned buildings, parking garages and forests wearing video screen googles which give them the sensation of the pod racing like in star wars. The drones reach speeds in excess of 100mph crazy cool stuff.

The first five minutes of this video below shows the capabilities of the drone to follow a vehicle but is being flown by the dude in the vehicle. Now they need to figure out how to follow and avoid objects. The girl is cute anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts