BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ref: http://www.ama-cycle.org/

How many you belong? Why did you join, re-enlist?

I looked this over and besides some discounts and small towing offer, I do not see a reason for joining (and spending the $39). I'm hoping someone can enlighten me to the bennifits of being a member.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
A very good reason to join the AMA is that they are the largest motorcylist rights organization in the country. They are very involved in state and federal governments and do excellent work protecting our right to ride on and off road. They've gotten numerous insurance companies to remove prejudicial coverage restrictions on motorcyclists, both in vehicle coverage as well as health and life insurance. They even get involved in local issues when needed.

Another great reason to support them is they sponsor the only national professional motorcycle racing organizations in the US for road racing, Motocross, flat track, and other classes, and they provide support and sanctioning for numerous local and regional races and other events. If you enjoy going to the races or just watching them on TV, they are the main reason in the US that you get to do so.

And as icing on the cake the manage and maintain the Motorcycle Heritage Museum, which beyond just displaying lots of cool bikes and specialty exhibits on motorcycling, they maintain and preserve a broad history of motorcycling and racing information. If not for this large parts of this history would likely be lost to the shredder or the scrapyard.

All in all, they go to great lengths to promote and maintain the sport at virtually every level for all of us. Well worth my $49 a year (I'm an Extra Mile member).

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have been a member for 39 years and believe every motorcyclist should belong for all the reasons David stated and more.

Had a personal experience this June. Rotary International celebrated its 100 aniversary in Chicago and a Parade was included. Motorcycling Rotarians (www.IFMR.org-na) from all over were to ride in the Parade and registered providing registration and proof of insurance as required. Two weeks prior to the Parade we were notified only 50 motorcycles would be allowed due to a fatal accident that occured during a previous fundraiser ride. This notice was shocking news to riders who had scheduled vacations, rented rooms and some were comming from foregin countrys.
A call was made to the American Motorcyclist Association, who contacted the City of Chicago and educated the city fathers. With-in 48 hours problem solved and restrictions removed. Approximately 150 cyclists had a great time participating in the Parade and now every time a motorcycling event is held in Chicago with more than 50 cycleists attending (AMA member or not) they can thank the AMA.

They also publish a great monthly magazine with reviews of equipment and bikes, places to ride and a schedule of all motorcycle events and races.

The AMA also has a Touring Division which hosts tours all over the world and several in the USA. I did New Zealand in 2003 and the Alps in 2004 and hope every motorcyclist gets a chance to ride these places. I am now trying to decide between Greece, Spain or Scotland? So many places, so little time.
Ask them to send you their Tours pack when you join.

It costs less to protect YOUR right to ride than to take the wife to dinner and after 25 years you become dues exempt or you can pay a one time life membership now.

Call 800/AMA-JOIN today and become part of a great orginazation.

Thanks for asking.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca
AMA
IFMR
BMWOA
HDDC Nor-Cal

·
Registered
461 Posts
Belong to the AMA for the same reason I belong to the NRA. Don't agree with everything they say, but they are the only game in town that has the clout to effect a favorable outcome.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. I will consider joining.

Thanks again for your insight and time!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
As others have already stated, the AMA is the foremost lobbying organization in the US dedicated to protecting our Right To Ride. Along with all the other successes mentioned they have regained access to numerous State, County, and City parks that in years past had banned access to motorcycles. I've personally been turned away from a couple of State Parks back in the late '70's and I was riding a quiet GW back then. I have been a Life Member since about 1980 and encourage everyone who rides or even has an interest in motorcycles to join. Oh yea, they also expend a great deal of energy toward keeping public trails open for those who enjoy 4 wheel'n and dirt bikes. Of course they also work in the area of education hoping to reform the 1 or 2% of the participants who don't always follow the rules.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Everyone above covered the subject very well. :D
Being an AMA Field Rep (Same as a BMWMOA Ambassador) I'll just add that at $39 it's probably the least expensive Farkle for your Motorcycle that you can buy. If you do nothing else to protect your right to ride and promote motorcycling for future generations, just adding yourself to the membership of the AMA goes a long way. Politicians only listen to two things, Big Money and Numbers (Votes) the AMA can use every member they can get.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Why...

I used to race dirt bikes and four wheeler's, and to do that I had to be a member. So I joined years ago and just keep it current. Plus I get the magazine....

·
Registered
255 Posts
My wife and I are both members for pretty much all the reasons listed above. And the number one reason being... They're protecting my right to ride.

It's a pretty cheap price for such a big watch dog.

Bill B.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi,

not a member of AMA what with me being in the UK, but am a member of the BMF (British Motorcycle Federation) and MAG ( Motorcycle Action Group). Both lobby for riders rights and I think it's worth the £40 odd pounds a year to have someone lobby on our behalf when the men in suits try to ban bikes.

The BMF are I guess the more respectable group, and I guess wear suits alot, but MAG are just as important from a lobbying point of view, but I think their membership is more down the back patch wearing fraternity.

I think it's important for riders to be represented, but you have a responsibility yourself and must also be involved. I write letters to the local council and complain about poor roads, lack of safe parking provision etc. It's up to us to fight for our right to ride.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I joined for the same reason I joined BoatUS and Texas Bicycle Coalition, I figure that I need someone looking out for me that likes the same thing as I do than to leave it to some nilly who could care less. I don't always agree on every subject, but on the whole they do a pretty good job. The monthly mag isn't half bad either!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What a love fest! In the big picture, I suggest they deserve our support, but with huge caveats.

If you were a politician, and a group came to you to lobby about exclusion of their members from health plans, and in their association policy there was not a clear statement of advocating basic safety devices, would you think they had credibility? If they came to lobby for access to state parks, but there is no clear stand about modified mufflers, do you think they should be heard? When they show up with beards, long hair, jeans, boots and a vest full of HS, do you think they have credibility on any governmental level, be it the halls of congress or a local city council?

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) has for years been a strong influence for private aviation. They are located in DC, and imbed themselves with policy makers, politicians, and relevant bureaucrats. They are sharp and well run. Their primary emphasis is on aviation safety; in everything they do. They have huge credibility and are very effective. Their magazine is top notch...better than commercial ones. Their dues for many years was...$39! And, its a whole lot harder to find a pilot than a motorcyclist. AMA doesn't hold a candle.

As an aside, though I love the AMA racing program, I suspect that part of the dues is a subsidy of that program...not a bad thing, but its not how it should be run, IMO. The bang for the buck from this organization is low. They need a housecleaning. YMMV.

I wish for a better option, but haven't found one.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I could only echo all the positives above. I try to chide riding friends into joining regularly.

I make it a qualifier; Are you a motorcyclist, or do you just own a bike? :D :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts