BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've an RT on order and have been thinking of adding Kristas and Darlas to it, ideally in classic triangle format: Kristas up high and wide, Darlas down load on forks.

However, there doesn't look to be a bracket available for 2014 RT yet for mounting lights high, underneath mirrors for example (I've emailed BMR about this bracket but no word yet).

You could bolt Kristas direct to tupperware under mirrors but maybe that's too much weight. Lighter and less drag would be to bolt a set of Darlas there, with a second set on forks. I have seen reports of adding Kristas to fog light brackets near engine and Darlas on fork, but this setup has the lights too close together and not as ideal as the Kristas up high and wide forming triangle with Darlas.

Does anyone have this or similar setup on a 2014 RT?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
464 Posts
For 160$ u can get a pair of brighter led's that will last just as long and put out twice the light. Never understood the krista following. What ever u do don't do the fork mount , at least mount them under the mirrors.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@mwood7800: which lights are you referring to for $160?

Also, why wouldn't you mount lights on the fork? Lights under the mirror (wide, high) with amber lights on the fork (low, narrow) seem like a good "get noticed" setup.

·
Registered
384 Posts
For 160$ u can get a pair of brighter led's that will last just as long and put out twice the light. .
Do you have statistics to back that up?

Poster, I have the Kristas on mine, mounted at the engine, I can't tell you how many people have commented on the brightness and how visible it makes me.

To each their own, I'm very happy with the Clearwater product, there are others out there. If your main goal is to be noticed, why not got with the Ericas, more lumen output for less money than buying two sets of lights.

Clearwater is also coming out with a brake light product which will integrate with their wiring system.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sorry I thought u wanted lights to brighten up the road. If so then the higher mounted lights work best. I have these on both my bikes, mine are 3 years old. I see the price is now only 140$

https://www.teslaleds.com/default.aspx
The mount looks a little cheesy but has worked great for me, lights have never moved, easy mounting under mirrors, I used a relay tapped off the highbeam, durring the day I always use high beam

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
Thanks, "mwood."

I am waiting for BMR's under-mirror mounts for my 15 RT and will consider Tesla's lights when I get them.

Meanwhile, I have these:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am interested in lights for my R1200RT 2014 so went to the Tesla website and it shows a light with some kind of a bracket on it but no where does it show any choice of any kind of a mount....Wouldn't want to buy a "Pig in a poke"....Where do we buy mounts for these lights?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only mounts I know of are BMR Products R1200RT mounts but they don't have a set available for 2014 RT yet. I've heard a report of them being ready by Christmas but I've emailed them and got no reply.

Without mounts, the other suggestion I've heard is bolting the Kristas directly to the tupperware under the mirrors, which would work and actually might look better than the BMR mount. But they might be too heavy for that, not sure.

A lighter option would be to bolt Darlas under the mirrors, lighter and more aerodynamic but maybe not quite as eye catching as Kristas ...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was talking about the Tesla's. There are several mounts for the Clearwater lights made by Clearwater or use the OE BMW bracket that mounts the light near the head.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know you were talking about the Teslas, the Teslas would mount to the BMR ... if they were available.

I contacted Clearwater UK and they had no mention of brackets for under the mirror on 2014 RT, which ones do you mean?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hi,

I've an RT on order and have been thinking of adding Kristas and Darlas to it, ideally in classic triangle format: Kristas up high and wide, Darlas down load on forks.

However, there doesn't look to be a bracket available for 2014 RT yet for mounting lights high, underneath mirrors for example (I've emailed BMR about this bracket but no word yet).

You could bolt Kristas direct to tupperware under mirrors but maybe that's too much weight. Lighter and less drag would be to bolt a set of Darlas there, with a second set on forks. I have seen reports of adding Kristas to fog light brackets near engine and Darlas on fork, but this setup has the lights too close together and not as ideal as the Kristas up high and wide forming triangle with Darlas.

Does anyone have this or similar setup on a 2014 RT?

Thanks,
Mike
Just one word of caution, at least on a cage, you are not allowed to have more than one set of aux. lights illuminated at a time.

I actually go pulled over for having 2 sets of PIAA's illuminated on my Suburban at the set time in addition to the head lights! If you want them for out in the sticks only I wouldn't worry about, but you should wire them so they can be on or off independently.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know you were talking about the Teslas, the Teslas would mount to the BMR ... if they were available.

I contacted Clearwater UK and they had no mention of brackets for under the mirror on 2014 RT, which ones do you mean?
I may have missed something about the mounting of the Teslas. I don't want lights under mirrows. I prefer either fork mount, engine guard , or where the factory lights mount. Nothing on Teslas site about any kind of mounts....

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got my crash bars and Krista lights, just waiting on the mounts for the crash bars to ship.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Atomicman: over here in Ireland the police thankfully are more relaxed and don't bother with technical violations like a couple too many lights. They probably wouldn't even know if extra lights were allowed or not.

·
Registered
464 Posts
On my 2010 rt I popped out the mirror and drilled holes and used the tesla mounts. If I remember right I had to grind down a small metric wrench to tighten the nuts. They haven't moved any and I have been on some terrible dirt roads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The mirror mount could work, just worried about a) the weight and b) on the 2014 RT this would place the light at an angle so adjusting it in its bracket wouldn't exactly be up/down, more across.

On BMW MOA though there was a guy proposing to attach Ericas under the wind deflectors (see attached). I must contact him and see if he did it.

What do you think of that idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Mrbongo =1 mounting under the mirror .Perhaps a better option is above the mirror similar to my 08 FJR and PHID 4's.
This position will maximize light down the road plus the bracket and expensive lights won't break if a tip over occurs. Currently waiting for BMR to see what they do with mounts @ the mirror. May have to make my own mounts we will see.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, having them safe for tip over would be great. The problem with "above the mirror" on a 2014 RT is where to attach them, there's little scope there and the mirrors themselves are quite angled on the top if they were bolted on there.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I ordered my 2014 with the BMW mounted lights, which are very visible. I think they may the same lights shown in Jeff's picture. I also have the daytime running lights, which i think were an option. These are high visibility as they are LED, and the low beam headlight can be on at the same time. I am not sure how good the BMW mounted lights are for showing the road at night as i have only had it out in daytime.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts