BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used PCIII's on other bikes, but not on the RT. Anyone used it on their RT? Can you use it to tune your throttle bodies? Would you recommend it? Or do you prefer a different tuner?

Thanks,

ape

·
Registered
234 Posts
Got one for a K1200RS I tried on my LT if you're interested.
oops, brain saw RS, not RT.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Near as I can tell, it's the only way to address the VEs and the timing on our motors. If you use the AT-100, you'll have full adaptability of the VEs in real time too. The only downside to the PC is that it's a piggyback unit that intercepts the ECM's signals and modifies the instructions to the injectors and the timing. Not really the best way to do things, but as I said, I believe it's the only option we've got.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
05Train said:
Near as I can tell, it's the only way to address the VEs and the timing on our motors. If you use the AT-100, you'll have full adaptability of the VEs in real time too. The only downside to the PC is that it's a piggyback unit that intercepts the ECM's signals and modifies the instructions to the injectors and the timing. Not really the best way to do things, but as I said, I believe it's the only option we've got.
OK. Good to hear.

Regarding the AT-100, it appears that it only works with the PC V, which is not available for the RT1150. Or did I miss something: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx

Thx,

ape

·
Registered
350 Posts
apehair said:
OK. Good to hear.

Regarding the AT-100, it appears that it only works with the PC V, which is not available for the RT1150. Or did I miss something: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx

Thx,

ape
You're correct, the PCV uses the AT-100 module, not the PCIII. FWIW, get the PCV and run the auto tune. Spend some time and get the timing sorted out, then let the AT figure out your VEs, and you'll be good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I think you are hunting with the wrong dog.

I would not recommend use of a Power Commander. And certainly not going there first.

First get the bike in basic good tune. Clean Air Filter, new spark plugs, precise Valve Adjustment, anal retentive throttle body synch... then if it still surges you have a place from which to start.

I am an old H-D guy too and I know what you want and why you want it but follow the first principles first... I have been on BMW now for a long time. I am more active on the technical threads of boards a whole lot bigger than this one. I have never heard of anyone needing or using a PC to solve a fundamental problem that will almost certainly be solved with a good tune-up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
hopz said:
I think you are hunting with the wrong dog.

I would not recommend use of a Power Commander. And certainly not going there first.

First get the bike in basic good tune. Clean Air Filter, new spark plugs, precise Valve Adjustment, anal retentive throttle body synch... then if it still surges you have a place from which to start.

I am an old H-D guy too and I know what you want and why you want it but follow the first principles first... I have been on BMW now for a long time. I am more active on the technical threads of boards a whole lot bigger than this one. I have never heard of anyone needing or using a PC to solve a fundamental problem that will almost certainly be solved with a good tune-up.
I will respectfully disagree with you. Any EPA-compliant vehicle will benefit from a tune. The OEMs have their ECM programming biased towards emissions, fuel efficiency, and longevity. I would all but guaranty you that with a tuning interface and a couple of hours, I could have your bike running smoother and more powerfully than it ever has.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
05... I do not have the data to argue on this. You may be right. I know lots of H-D guys who have solved many problems with the tools you advocate. I had full stage 2 set-ups on my two Road Kings and on my Road Glide. They worked.

But, and to me its a big butt. Here is a guy who has just got his first BMW, an RT that is 10 years old. He has a Remus exhaust system and some other non-standard parts. It surges.... If it were me, I would put it all back to stock, fix the surge problem with a good tune-up then go from there.

With no base-line he can be chasing problems for a long (expensive) time.

I have advised him on this and I look forward to hearing his success (in either method).

Again. my personal belief is that there is a lot more pleasure to be had from that $350 than a PC.

·
Registered
350 Posts
hopz said:
But, and to me its a big butt. Here is a guy who has just got his first BMW, an RT that is 10 years old. He has a Remus exhaust system and some other non-standard parts. It surges.... If it were me, I would put it all back to stock, fix the surge problem with a good tune-up then go from there.
I agree wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
2011 RT
193 Posts
Ape -

May be an alternative as a modest tuner would be the Booster plug. I have one installed on a camhead with an after market exhaust and just love it. Low end surge and drive ability is great. Running up through the gears is a real 'feel it in the seat of your pants' pleasure..and roll on in the top gears is greatly improved. Snatchy throttle is way better..not perfect but much better.

I would buy this product again...$150..easy to install...much better all round drive ability.

FWIW...http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the discussion. I've been out of town so I wasn't able to follow it in real time. Since I had already taken apart the bike and was half way toward installing the PCIII when I read this discussion, I decided to follow through with it.

I had planned to do a valve check and throttle body sync, as well, but the tools for that hadn't arrived yet.

The bike has 22,000 miles and has been serviced at the recommended intervals by BMW dealers. Last one was at 18,000 miles last fall. So I'll be changing the fluids, as well.

This is actually my fourth Beemer. I've owned:

However, this is the first one I've actually worked on myself.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

ape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts