BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 1600cc V-twin cruiser, but I've made up my mind that I'm going to get a sport-touring bike next year.

My original plan was to keep the cruiser as a second bike just for me, I was worried that I might miss the V-twin experience but then there's the issue of not really having the room for two bikes since my wife has one of her own, so that would make three all told!

Then there's the problem of paying extra insurance and also extra maintenance costs and winter storage fees, etc... All in all, I'm now having second thoughts about having a second bike, I've got a feeling that I'll probably end up on the sport-tourer most of the time anyway and the cruiser will end up gathering dust and costing me money for no good reason.

Also, if I do sell my cruiser, I can put that money towards a better/newer sport-tourer. It all seems to make more sense to me the more that I roll that around in my head.

The sport-tourer that I'm the most keen on so far is the R1200RT, mainly because from what I've read, it's agile, not too heavy, fun to ride and offers excellent comfort and weather protection. It seems to be the one that ticks the most boxes for me but I've never had the pleasure of trying one out for myself unfortunately.

I tried out a Kawasaki Concours 14 last summer and I was floored with the quality of the ride but I'm not sure that it would offer quite the same amount of comfort/weather protection as the R1200RT can. My wife has to be happy on the back! ;) Plus the Kawasaki dealership network in my area is almost non-existent and the C14s that I've seen are priced almost as high as the BMW R1200RT!

I was wondering if anybody here has gone through this transition from big V-twin cruiser to a sport-tourer? Do you miss the v-twin experience or did that interest fade as soon as you got yourself a sport-tourer?

I'm now thinking that the cruiser will probably be up for sale next Spring.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I sold my sport bike for a cruiser and I missed that sport bike. I sold my crusier for a touring bike and I missed the cruiser. I sold my touring bike for a GSA...screw it, I don't miss any of them anymore.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Scottly said:
I sold my sport bike for a cruiser and I missed that sport bike. I sold my crusier for a touring bike and I missed the cruiser. I sold my touring bike for a GSA...screw it, I don't miss any of them anymore.

But that's just me.
Scottly does raise an interesting point. I too had a special fondness for each of my previous 5 bikes... all very different, and each very unique and special in their own way(s)...

However, none are/were as well-rounded, classy, sporty, visceral, and overall lovable as my RT!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The C-14 will be faster than the RT...
That being said most of the other factors are probably pretty equal..

I'll bet Joe will chime in here in a minute..

IT depends on whether you want the two cylinder experience or the four..

I think that would be the major difference.. They're both going to be fun...

John

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I bought my 2010 RT in September. I have only taken the Harley out twice since I got the RT and have ridden it about 100 miles total on the two rides. I really did not enjoy either ride that much and wanted to be on the RT.

As some others have said, I have enjoyed every bike I've owned. But the RT is hands down the best motorcycle that I have ever ridden. I am thinking seriously of selling the HD. But since it is an '87, not many of that model were made, it will be a "classic" in another year, and the fact I won't get much for it in today's market I may just hang on to it. But if I do it won't get ridden too often!

Regards,

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I had a 1600 Nomad before buying the RT. I sold it before I got the RT. I wish I could have kept the Nomad just because, but there could be only one. That said, the RT is a better motorcycle in almost every way. The only deficiency I have found is that the RT isn't as good in a cross wind, particularly a strong one. The Nomad does have a little more room too, but it hasn't been objectionable. The only other positive I can think of is maintenance. The old bike was cheaper to maintain than what I believe the RT will be, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a Vulcan 1500 and sold it after I bought the RT. I noticed that I didn't ride it as much and after about five months, I sold it. Now several months later, I really miss it. It's a different ride. I liked the rumble of the engine, the low end torque, and the laid back seating position, not to mention being flat-footed. I'm seriously thinking of buying another cruiser and having the best of both worlds, but if I were forced to have just one bike, it would be the RT hands down!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fortunately, I could keep both and like them both. They're two entirely different experiences. The RT is faster but there's still something very visceral about a large displacement V-twin. When I want to attack the twistys, it's the RT all the way. If I feel like laid-back cruising, it's my full dress Harley.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Humbucker said:
I currently own a 1600cc V-twin cruiser, but I've made up my mind that I'm going to get a sport-touring bike next year.

My original plan was to keep the cruiser as a second bike just for me, I was worried that I might miss the V-twin experience but then there's the issue of not really having the room for two bikes since my wife has one of her own, so that would make three all told!

Then there's the problem of paying extra insurance and also extra maintenance costs and winter storage fees, etc... All in all, I'm now having second thoughts about having a second bike, I've got a feeling that I'll probably end up on the sport-tourer most of the time anyway and the cruiser will end up gathering dust and costing me money for no good reason.

Also, if I do sell my cruiser, I can put that money towards a better/newer sport-tourer. It all seems to make more sense to me the more that I roll that around in my head.

The sport-tourer that I'm the most keen on so far is the R1200RT, mainly because from what I've read, it's agile, not too heavy, fun to ride and offers excellent comfort and weather protection. It seems to be the one that ticks the most boxes for me but I've never had the pleasure of trying one out for myself unfortunately.

I tried out a Kawasaki Concours 14 last summer and I was floored with the quality of the ride but I'm not sure that it would offer quite the same amount of comfort/weather protection as the R1200RT can. My wife has to be happy on the back! ;) Plus the Kawasaki dealership network in my area is almost non-existent and the C14s that I've seen are priced almost as high as the BMW R1200RT!

I was wondering if anybody here has gone through this transition from big V-twin cruiser to a sport-tourer? Do you miss the v-twin experience or did that interest fade as soon as you got yourself a sport-tourer?

The only reason I would ride a v-twin again would be for the same reason I would take a bus. For the novelty of slumming it. There is no comparison. Once you get an RT you'll know what I'm talking about. I need my fix...damn winter. :bmw:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I never have owned a cruiser but sold Harleys for a few months. The dealer was constantly trying to get me to sell my LT at the time and always making fun of it. They told me that the loyal Harley riders would not even talk to me if I didn't own one. ( Not really the case ) but some wouldn't. I rode every Harley they had anytime I wanted but just couldn't get excited about them. I never did get used to the LT at parking lot speeds ( just too much of a pig ) so I gave in and sold it. I finally bought a Buell Ulysses because that was more my riding style. Fun bike to ride but it had some heat issues and the fan was always constantly running. Sold it and got a GT which I loved and then an 1150 RT next. Then I went to an 09 RT and I don't think there is another bike out there that could give me that kind of pleasure. Have a smile on my face EVERYTIME I throw a leg over it.I ride year round down in this area and have not had a car in the last 21/2 years. I don't see any Harleys out though when the temp is below 30. I love anything on two wheels and don't put any of them down. There is a certain bike out there for every individual and every riding style. I could never figure out the whole time I was in sales there why on a sunny day all the riders would come down to hang out and shoot pool all day when you could be out riding. A lot of the Harley thing seemed to be a big image deal ( although not all, there were some true loyal riders ) but as a whole, the section with all the do rags and soup bowl helmets got the most traffic. Seemed like a big fashion thing more than riding, especially for the women. Again, let me say not all, just in general.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I was on H-D for 20 years.

Had the Road Glide and BMW at same time. She never wanted to get on the Glide again.

Sold it.

Miss it?

Nah....

:bmw:

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I bought my 2010 RT my wife actually told me I could also keep my 2010 Street Glide. I kept it for about a month. Finally realized I wasn't going to ride it enough to justify keeping it. I'd probably have to spend more time keeping the chrome clean than I would riding it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Three of my riding buddies have Harleys so I am constantly reminded why I bought the RT. I stop for gas every other time. In the twisties I find myself suddenly alone but smiling from ear to ear. I have to look at the tach to see if the bike is running. When people stare at my bike they're doing so because it looks cool and not because their ears hurt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe doesn't qualify, but I have a cruiser, a little tiny one, a Rebel 250. It was my trainer and reintroduction back into motorcycling after being off for 35 years. I kept it not only for running around town and for occasional spins on country back roads. It's fun for that kind of riding. Do I use it for long trips and tours or interstate runs? No way. That's what my RT is for.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Humbucker said:

Well, I have just recently become a "one bike garage."
My Road King and Triumph Scrambler are now sold. Funny, I enjoyed the HD a lot, but I really don't miss it. The little Triumph I miss a whole lot!! It was just plain fun no matter where or how it was ridden. Big classic bike auction coming up here next month---there might be another Beezer or Trumpet in my future! ;)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Don't miss my V-Twin... still have it, and HD Ultra. I love it for what it is just as I love my RT for what it is. I will probably replace the Ultra with a new K1600GTL if it is everything I hope it will be; if not, I'll keep the Ultra.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts