BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new van will burn E-85.. I've never used it but it's nearly a buck a gallon cheaper than regular fuel and I'm wondering if I should go for it...

Anybody with experience ???

Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
If its nearly a buck cheaper andthe car is made for it, then go for it. You'll have about 10-20% less gas milage, depending on the car, so you'll have to do the math depending on YOUR car.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I have owned three E-85 vehicles. You can plan on about 15 to 20 percent less mileage on E-85 but great horsepower so at a buck less per gallon you should be good to go until we hit 5 bucks a gallon.

The thing I found odd was that the E-85 has a much higher octane rating which allows the computer to advance the timing way up and produces great horsepower. However a gallon of alcohol has fewer BTUs than a gallon of gasoline so less miles per gallon.

There is a sensor in the fuel rail which tells the engine computer what percentage of alcohol is present and all the adjustments are made automatically. You won't notice any difference unless you're towing or hauling and then you can feel the extra horsepower..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Germany has just gone apeshit over E10 fuel, nobody wants it after Bild (the German budgie-cage-liner-newspaper) told everybody their engines would not take it, now the oil companies are re-stocking with Super at 98 Oktan.
Just on a side note for your amusement, your US E85 would be taxed under the so-called Brandweinsteuergestetz, it would be classed and taxed the same as whiskey, brandy and other booze.

Jeez remind me not to tank the jeep in the UK, prices have dropped here now a bit, around 7 USD a US gallon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts