BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody fitted a quickshifter to a RT1200? Is it possible, I know I'm new to BMW's AND i'm being told to ride one for 500 mls to get used to it, but i'm finding the upshifts on 1-3 with the clutch very clumsy and slow, plus I find it upsets the bike when I let the clutch out 4,5,and 6 hitting the revs right and NO clutch the shifts are faultless, is it me or am I riding like a d##k. Is it the nature of the beast? I'm MORE than happy to be advised on the best way to ride these thing's. BTW I've STOPPED blipping the throttle on the downshifts and using the engine to slow me down (Ive seen pictures of a clutch change) like I did on the Harley, everything else considered I'M LOVING IT!!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Interesting. I've got no issues with shifting, other than my piss-poor body positioning which is taking some getting used to. I'm still blipping my downshifts, but that's 36 years of muscle memory there.

Is rev-matching downshifts bad for the dry clutch?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I have no issues either... and I have been known to ride her pretty hard.

I do down shift more or less regularly so the only thing I would say on that is for you to ride it like you are comfortable and not worry about the clutch.

As for your question, I am not aware of a speed shifter or short shifter...

One thing I will suggest is that you learn how to pre-load the shifter... it does seem to make them smoother and maybe faster too. Pre-loading the shifter means to just apply a small amount of pressure with your toe (either going Up pr Down- shifts) and then when you pull the clutch- it just slips in, like butter.

What I assume is happening is that the preload takes any slack in the shift-train out and makes it go ...

It might be helpful to hear what you are riding too... 1100/1150/1200 RT. R. S, RS etc... and year and miles on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I have a new to me 2005 rt and was finding it hard to be smooth when shifting. I found gear shift position and clutch lever adjustment crucial to smooth shifting. I also find the fuel injection like an on off switch when going from coast to power. I'm not complaining about the fuel injection I'm sure it is key player in producing the excellent fuel mileage that this bike achieves. I'm finding the more I ride the smother I get.

As far as a quick shifter, I have one on my ZRX1100 and love it and I'm sure one can be fitted to the 1200rt.

Best of luck with your new bike.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow! I'm very surprised to hear that some people are having issues shifting smoothly... up or down. I think the BMW shifts very well in my opinion and it gets better after the break in period which is like 20,000 miles especially for the transmission. The clutch is not as smooth as a wet clutch but I think it's an adjustment that we learn after we use it a few thousand times.

I rode some Honda sport bikes that just sneaked into gear but I found I could make mistakes since the movement from one gear to another was so small (and smooth). I like the clunk (as compared to a 600cc sport bike) from one gear to another of the RT.

Now... having said this... just yesterday I turned in an intersection, pulled smoothly thru 1st gear... getting to my shift point in RPMs when I see a cop at the next intersection! Well, I was already at the speed limit I'm sure so my next 2 shifts were some of the worst I've ever done! I think i shifted up to decelerate! It was a case of B&W fever.

I suggest just keep practicing your shifting. If you can ride with someone that has the same kind of bike and follow them and shift at the same time. You have a wide latitude for shifting with these bikes since they have plenty of torque (although I shift the RT a lot more than I did my ST1300).

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Hi, and you will get to the point you love your BMW. Yes, the first three gear up shifts are a little tough. And with all the drive line snatch you will learn to just grab the clutch and do the brake thing with minimal down shifting when coming to a complete stop. But the rest of the shifting will come to you after you get use to the bike and you both will become one. My K bike has such a nasty neutral to first gear shift klunk that I never put it in neutral and start in up in first gear. My 2010 RT is so smooth shifting I find in amazing. It helps to ride it a little hard too. Wind it out a little.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have you tried letting the clutch out a little between shifts, then grabbing it back in in one smooth movement?
I've found that "almost" double clutching both up and down the box in hte lower 3 gears helps.

I rarely get 100% of the shifts as smooth as I'd like and I've done 90,000 miles on the 1200's

BTW I'm coming up 60,000 miles o, the OE clutch on my 2007RT.
Twice daily U turns slipping the clutch at 2k revs or so and some intruction to students on slow speed control on so it can take some. Avoid high speed slippage as in 0-60 acceleration tests, or beating yer mates from the lights. The clutches don't like that so much.

Oh and IMO, the 2008 and later boxes are smoother shifters.

hth
\v/

·
Registered
955 Posts
I also found shifting my new-to-me '06 RT quite "different." I was coming off a 4cyl 650 that revved quicker. I finally started thinking of the RT, with 2 fat pistons and a heavier flywheel as an underpowered pickup truck compared to the 650, being very deliberate and not trying to rush the shifts. As I gained experience, especially in city traffic, I learned more instinctively how the engine revs, and can now make most shifts quickly,with no noticeable jerkiness. On downshifts,with the 6 speed gearbox, I find I need very little "blipping" to match speeds, especially when coming to a stop. In that case, I usually have the revs so low that the difference in engine revs is very small. Mainly, I think you just need to give yourself more time to acclimate to the different power characteristics of the RT.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Post #8, perfect advice.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
On smooth shifting: I too noticed jerkiness when I first got the bike, but that disappeared as I got used to it and the bike broke in. (When I complained to the dealer about it his comment was "This is your first BMW, isn't it" - that explained it all to him.) I just got it back with a new left cylinder and it's acting a bit like a new engine - my shifts are a little jerky again. So I think that smoothness of shifts is a combination of breaking the engine/drivetrain in to get it smoother, plus you getting used to the characteristics of the bike/clutch.

Consider it your new Significant Other and enjoy building your relationship with it. Hakuna Matata.

JayJay

·
Registered
183 Posts
hopz said:
One thing I will suggest is that you learn how to pre-load the shifter... it does seem to make them smoother and maybe faster too. Pre-loading the shifter means to just apply a small amount of pressure with your toe (either going Up pr Down- shifts) and then when you pull the clutch- it just slips in, like butter.
+1 ----- Pre-loading the shifter makes a world of difference.

This is going to sound dumb but another thing that I have noticed is that having the right boots makes a huge difference. I have several pairs of boots that simply will not work with my RT. The shape is wrong. The sole is too think. The boot won't allow me to flex my ankle. Etc. Etc.

·
Registered
429 Posts
yo1200yo said:
Anybody fitted a quickshifter to a RT1200? Is it possible, I know I'm new to BMW's AND i'm being told to ride one for 500 mls to get used to it, but i'm finding the upshifts on 1-3 with the clutch very clumsy and slow, plus I find it upsets the bike when I let the clutch out 4,5,and 6 hitting the revs right and NO clutch the shifts are faultless, is it me or am I riding like a d##k. Is it the nature of the beast? I'm MORE than happy to be advised on the best way to ride these thing's. BTW I've STOPPED blipping the throttle on the downshifts and using the engine to slow me down (Ive seen pictures of a clutch change) like I did on the Harley, everything else considered I'M LOVING IT!!!!
1) - Rev her up a little bit before shifting (4500 to 5500), if you can (not always feasible in town),
2) - Pre-load the gear lever up with your foot,
3) - Give the clutch lever a little pull in while engaging next gear with your foot. Do not pull the clutch all the way in. Just give it a very little pull in with two or three fingers. It's a semi-clutchless gear shift.

If you can't rev' her up, because of speed build-up, at least try the foot pre-load and the little three-finger pull in of the clutch levr.

This should help smooth out the first three gears. From 3 up, you can do the same, or even learn to shift totally clutchless. Very easy to do once you know how. AND easy on the gear box and clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I was on a long-ish ride yesterday and thought about this thread.

I still do not know what the O.P. has in mind as a problem but I can assure you that my '05 will shift up or down as fast as you can pull and release the clutch lever.

Maybe it is a familiarity thing and just a learning curve ...

If the "standard" by which someone is measuring is the auto-shifter, dual clutch that has been introduced, or even the elecro shifter of the MOTOGP bikes... we will never get there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys, I've took on board all thats been said, as as most of you said, It is a familiarity thing, done 300 miles since opening this thread and the shifts ARE getting smoother and I am finding the best way to shift and in general the best way to ride this bike and as most of you said I AM LOVING IT!! I can't keep off it !! It really is as simple as getting used to it, Thanks a lot guys :dance:
Ady

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
hopz said:
I was on a long-ish ride yesterday and thought about this thread.

I still do not know what the O.P. has in mind as a problem but I can assure you that my '05 will shift up or down as fast as you can pull and release the clutch lever.

Maybe it is a familiarity thing and just a learning curve ...

If the "standard" by which someone is measuring is the auto-shifter, dual clutch that has been introduced, or even the elecro shifter of the MOTOGP bikes... we will never get there.
I'm with you, my '09 shifts great. No complaints except I wish 1st and 2nd were a bit lower, ., but mine shifts extremely accurately

·
Registered
7 Posts
gfspencer said:
+1 ----- Pre-loading the shifter makes a world of difference.

This is going to sound dumb but another thing that I have noticed is that having the right boots makes a huge difference. I have several pairs of boots that simply will not work with my RT. The shape is wrong. The sole is too think. The boot won't allow me to flex my ankle. Etc. Etc.
I'm wearing BMW All Around boots, and while they are very comfortable, I find it tough to slip the boot under the shifter due to the thickness of the boot. I'm on a '12 RT with the pegs and gear shift in the stock position. I tried adjusting the fine adjustment on the shifter to move the end up, which helped a little. Anyone else notice this?

Also, I have no problem with shifts from 1st to 2nd, but shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th often requires a couple of pokes up before it clicks in. I've tried pre-loading the shifter, but same thing. I've only got about 200 miles on the bike so far. Too soon to worry about it? Anything else I should try?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ride it for a thousand miles before judging. I think you and the bike will get along better by then. My '11 frustrated me a little at first. Now I don't think about it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Jeff47 said:
I'm wearing BMW All Around boots, and while they are very comfortable, I find it tough to slip the boot under the shifter due to the thickness of the boot. I'm on a '12 RT with the pegs and gear shift in the stock position. I tried adjusting the fine adjustment on the shifter to move the end up, which helped a little. Anyone else notice this?

Also, I have no problem with shifts from 1st to 2nd, but shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th often requires a couple of pokes up before it clicks in. I've tried pre-loading the shifter, but same thing. I've only got about 200 miles on the bike so far. Too soon to worry about it? Anything else I should try?
Same boot, no issues either before or after installing Suburban Machinery lowered pegs. Also after pegs installed I lowered shifter.

Allaround boot is one of the les thick boots I found.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts