BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to drill a 1 1/8" hole in my tupperware but I don't want to crack or break it? I want to replace the 12volt outlet with an American one. Has anyone had any experience with this? Hole cutting saw for a drill? Wood paddle bit? Masonry bit? At what RPM? or maybe even some rotary tool?

I was thinking to first try a diamond bit made for ceramic tile et al.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I haven't tried it on the tupperware, but the wood speed bit type with the cutters on the OD would probably do the trick (with a light touch). I would probably put painters tape on the front and a piece of wood on the back side to minimize blow-out/surface damage.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_170984-281-88818BX_0__?Ntt=88818bx&productId=1207041&rpp=48

jrh

Edit - nevermind, see you are enlarging an existing hole, would be hard to keep the above bit centered. Might try a step drill if you can find one in the right side. They work remarkably well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-91616.html

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I'd try and find a stepper bit. If you can't find one and are going to use a ordinary hole bit, I'd go with one intended for metal vice wood, they would have finer teeth.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Don't try the diamond hole cutter. Diamond tools work best on brittle and hard materials like glass and ceramic tile. They will plug very quickly on plastics.

And any spade etc type bit will break out badly as it breaks through.

I suggest either a hole saw (with a backer plate so it can't crash through) or most easy, just use a small hand grinder & file to ream the hole out. Figure on taking your time.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
X3 on a step bit, they work wonderful.

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
Before you replace the powerlet outlet have you looked into replacing the plug on your accessory that will plug into either type of outlet? There are also plug adapters available. The powerlet covers are pretty good at keeping the weather out of them.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/powerlet-dual-fit-powerlet-cigarette-convertible-power-plug

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/powerlet-adapter-cable-powerlet-plug-to-cigarette-socket-10-inch
That's what I'm thinking. It would be easier and there is no risk of butchering tupperware. My first LT had a cigarette lighter receptacle in the stingray that a previous owner had installed. The dealer I bought it from had disconnected the wiring to it and it just sat there as a gaping hole ready to collect anything that fell into it. I replaced the stingray with one that I found on eBay and I used a powerlet to cigarette lighter converter like the one in the link you posted. The cord was long enough that I could use my tank bag as a water proof junction box. It has worked for everything I've needed it for, i.e., phone charger, GPS and I still use that setup on my second LT.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Randito said:
I am about to drill a 1 1/8" hole in my tupperware but I don't want to crack or break it? I want to replace the 12volt outlet with an American one. Has anyone had any experience with this? Hole cutting saw for a drill? Wood paddle bit? Masonry bit? At what RPM? or maybe even some rotary tool?

I was thinking to first try a diamond bit made for ceramic tile et al.

Thanks
one thing to consider as well is that a standard car cigarette lighter plug (assuming that is what you mean) relies on friction to stay in which may cause problems with it staying in even with the tiny vibration on these bikes - I imagine BMW used the powerlets because they hook in

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Looks like the best way to go for me is either the step drill if I can find a 1 1/8" one or to ream it by hand with a rotary and round file. As for the cigarette 12v socket, I plan to leave one of originals but replace the other just for ease of use and less "carry" stuff to keep up with such as adapters and cables. I purchased a marine grade one with a watertight spring loaded cover that worked well for me on a boat.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have you considered leaving the BMW plugs alone and instead adding a separate plug? I added an extra power outlet and a USB power outlet on my LT up on the dash by the light adjustment knob for powering things that I want to have up top like GPS, iPod etc. This way I do not have cords dangling all over the bike.

I am assuming that you are trying to power accessories and not clothing which is why I ask.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally settled on using the step bit and it worked fine. The saddlebag drilled more like a rubbery consistency than a plastic or fiberglass one. Worked fine....no splits or cracks. Thanks all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.