BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my first major hiccup with my 2004 LT. Nice day got off work early, got gas went to put her in to first.... and the damn shift lever dropped! Oh Sh*@... Tear things down in the parking lot to find the small bolt on the shift arm snapped off. No parts stores near by, no wire, duct tape or any other items I can use to McGyver the dang thing so I shift in to 2nd and slap all the tupperware back on and away I go top speed of 40 mph. One hr later 40 miles later I make it home. Dignity slightly still in tact after riding on the shoulder with the four ways on. Only saving factor was I didn't have any mopeds or cyclists blow by me. :histerica

Ok enough of the story. Any suggestions for where to buy the new linkage? Any companies making a "stronger" bolt, a stainless steel, hardened steel etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all info you provide. This site is quite the savior!

Trevor

1978 Honda XL 125
1981 Suzuki PE 175
1980 Honda CB 900 Custon
1991 Honda CBR 1000F "Holy Crap She's Fast"
1986 Honda VT1100C
2002 BWM K1200LTC Silver Bullet "RIP 08/18/12"
2004 BMW K 1200LT Black

·
Registered
431 Posts
Trevor,

That happened me earlier this year. See other posts. BMW will order you a replacement part (I doubt if they'll have it in stock even though its a known issue). It took 3 weeks for them to get it for me. In the meantime I was lucky enough to get a secondhand one off an old R80 (I think) a neighbour was restoring. Same part years later!

Kevin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Swiftatc said:
Just had my first major hiccup with my 2004 LT. Nice day got off work early, got gas went to put her in to first.... and the damn shift lever dropped! Oh Sh*@... Tear things down in the parking lot to find the small bolt on the shift arm snapped off. No parts stores near by, no wire, duct tape or any other items I can use to McGyver the dang thing so I shift in to 2nd and slap all the tupperware back on and away I go top speed of 40 mph. One hr later 40 miles later I make it home. Dignity slightly still in tact after riding on the shoulder with the four ways on. Only saving factor was I didn't have any mopeds or cyclists blow by me. :histerica

Ok enough of the story. Any suggestions for where to buy the new linkage? Any companies making a "stronger" bolt, a stainless steel, hardened steel etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all info you provide. This site is quite the savior!

Trevor

1978 Honda XL 125
1981 Suzuki PE 175
1980 Honda CB 900 Custon
1991 Honda CBR 1000F "Holy Crap She's Fast"
1986 Honda VT1100C
2002 BWM K1200LTC Silver Bullet "RIP 08/18/12"
2004 BMW K 1200LT Black

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120760402963?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.powergridinc.com/bmw.asp

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I saw the powergrid advertisement I will be looking into them as well as a post of another member who also produces an aftermarket linkage. I appreciate you guys.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If I understand you right is it the ball stud only. So replace this part that's all. If you have the 6mm Studs go to the next size 8mm is a normal Hardware Store item and cost you $ 2,50.
How you to do it you will find it here on the forum.

Manfred

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
Most use 3rd as it supports normal hiway driving. The LT is good to 62 in first but I have never gone to the rev limiter in second - on purpose. In third you can exceed every speed limit in the USA.

Nothing wrong with the stock linkage that a little maintenance won't fix. The shafts break when the ball studs become loose and a heavy foot is used. Often when at a stop and trying to stomp it into first with the clutch held in for some time. The stuff inside the tranny needs to be spinning a wee bit to make her go into gear.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
It is a good idea to replace with an aftermarket as they are stronger.

If you want to get going soon to not miss the nice riding, I can mail you a complete
shift linkage. Remove the piece you need and send it back with your old piece and I will
replace the stud. Cost to you is shipping both ways...about $26

Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DanMartin said:
It is a good idea to replace with an aftermarket as they are stronger.

If you want to get going soon to not miss the nice riding, I can mail you a complete
shift linkage. Remove the piece you need and send it back with your old piece and I will
replace the stud. Cost to you is shipping both ways...about $26

Dan
Dan I definitely will take you up on it. If you can email me [email protected] I'll get payment etc to you asap! I am very greatful for the offer as well!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Happened to me also. I picked new ones up at BMW dealer. I picked up 3 extra as well. I can mail you one if you'd like. Don't worry about any payment. It's a $2 part and regular shipping should be minimal. If you want next or 2 day shipping, you could send check after you receive the part.
[email protected]
Doug.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts