BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - I'm considering a used 2010 R1200RT, low miles, no radio, does have ESA and heated seats. I've owned the roadster R series bikes, R1000R, R1150R, but not a full touring bike. I live in a moderate size city, lots of stop and go traffic, but also have the ability to ride longer distances on weekends.

My question: For those who own a R1200RT, do you have any regrets in your decision? Are you happy with the bike; is it "too much to handle"? I'm 5'7", probably need a lower seat. Haven't been able to ride a lowered version, or one with a lower seat. Seller asked me to make a decision as he has another buyer waiting for me to decide.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Only that I didn't buy the RT sooner. I tried the Honda ST1300 for a couple years before getting the RT, and it was the right decision. I'm 5' 8" but with a low seat and the right boots, handling the RT has never been an issue. Great machine, lots of character, and a blast to ride anywhere.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a 2010 RT and no regrets. I like it because it is one of the lightest touring bikes. If you come from an R, I don't think the weight difference will be an issue. You might have to do something about the seat height, though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just bought one myself. Love it.

I am the same height as you.
You WILL need a lower seat and some riding boots.
I bought the BMW Comfort seat. It's much better than stock but not amazing like some of the aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes.

I owned a 2011 RT for 4 months and a hair over 5,000 miles. I traded it in for a 2012 GS/A (there's a thread here somewhere about it). For reference, the RT replaced a 2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited.

The RT is a perfectly nice bike, but it's too antiseptic for me. It's competent but not fun. At 6'2", I felt cramped by the riding position, even with a peg lowering kit. With the lowered pegs, the bike couldn't go through a corner without dragging. The bubble of silence behind the windshield was nice and quiet, but left me too disconnected from the ride.

In short, the bike didn't move me, and I was never comfortable on it.

The GS/A is lighter, quicker, and handles better. The riding position is far more comfortable. And it's as much fun as I've ever had on 2 wheels. I give up a modicum of weather and wind protection, but that's worth it for the sense of involvement the bike transmits.

·
Registered
482 Posts
54,000 miles on my 09 and not a single regret. It does everything I want a motorcycle to do.

Reactions: malclingan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Absolutely no regrets with my RT. it is an exceptional bike in all respects (well, it sounds like a sewing machine) but with your stated riding patterns, mostly in town with a few weekend trips you may want a bike with some touring capability and more sport, rather than the RT which is more touring than sport. You can add temporary panniers/saddlebags, even a trunk or rear seat bag to many bikes and do weekend trips comfortably. For example, I had a first generation Multistrada (1000DS) which was a more suitable bike for commuting and day rides in the twisties. I took it on a week long 2,000 mile trip and it did great, but when I was planning a 9,000+ mile x country trip, I went with an RT. With both bikes in the garage, I would usually choose the Multistrada for day rides, twisty romps or commuting.

Recently, I decided to consolidate to one bike and I chose the RT, because I take at least one 5,000+ mile trip per year, and the RT is good enough for the other uses. But I am tempted to trade it for a new Multistrada.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi lencap, welcome to the forum.

'09 RT here. I'm also 5'7, about 185#. No issues, love the bike. Bought mine with the regular suspension, low two-piece seat. With the low two-piece seat in the low position, and standard Cabela's Outfitter hunting boots that the cobbler added 1/2" to, no issues as to height/reaching the ground. Can't quite flat foot, but close enough. I also had an extra 1/2" added to some Sidi Canyons, likewise, just fine on the height. A year ago I put the BMW comfort seat on the bike, and like it better still. In practical terms that's almost the same height as the two piece low seat in the low position (might add a couple mm - no substantive difference). I deliberately decided not to buy the low suspension, as I wanted the ESA (couldn't then get ESA with the low suspension, perhaps still can't - don't know).

Definitely not too much to handle, nor too tall - however, if this one comes with the standard two piece seat, rather than the low two piece seat, you might want to swap seats. And add 1/2" to your boots. Or not.

Again, welcome.

John

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you haven't ridden one, please do(either the one you're considering or the dealer's demo). You can get answers that are meaningful rather than our experiences.
The bike, for me, is comfortable and plenty capable. I think you'd enjoy it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
05Train said:
Yes.

I owned a 2011 RT for 4 months and a hair over 5,000 miles. I traded it in for a 2012 GS/A (there's a thread here somewhere about it). For reference, the RT replaced a 2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited.

The RT is a perfectly nice bike, but it's too antiseptic for me. It's competent but not fun. At 6'2", I felt cramped by the riding position, even with a peg lowering kit. With the lowered pegs, the bike couldn't go through a corner without dragging. The bubble of silence behind the windshield was nice and quiet, but left me too disconnected from the ride.

In short, the bike didn't move me, and I was never comfortable on it.

The GS/A is lighter, quicker, and handles better. The riding position is far more comfortable. And it's as much fun as I've ever had on 2 wheels. I give up a modicum of weather and wind protection, but that's worth it for the sense of involvement the bike transmits.
09 RT.
Love it!
This bike is amazing.

If you think it is "antiseptic" then take one to the roads in Tennessee and twist the throttle. Yee haw! I loved that trip.
Ellie
(Notice no mention of final drive issues.)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think the RT is excellent, also. But basically for some good long road trips. I'm 6'2" and I am very comfortable on it.
I do feel that I am 100% out there in the ride with it, but it has features that work great for the long haul.
However, as a commuter bike, depending on the commute, I think it may be too much.
For lane splitting, you may want something slimmer, and for the commute you don't need the side bags. If you ride without them, then you are slimmer.
For the real city driving, stop and go, clutch in, clutch out, I don't think the RT is much fun.
Unless you can get into the carpool lane and pass it all.
Maybe for city street riding, something smaller.
dc

·
Registered
100 Posts
At 5'7 the seat height and seat comfort are the main issues for me. I added a custom seat which is about a 200% improvement. Now I am adding one inch shorter rebuildable shocks. Next I am adding shorter side and centerstands. That is about 3K. I researched this before I bought so it was no surprize I would need to do these mods. But-I plan on keeping it for ten years. I can recoup some cost via E-Bay and it will be properly set up. For intown commuting the RT is way too fast and a bit too big. Buy something smaller, lighter and cheaper for that stuff. For the open road the RT is a bit of heaven on earth.

Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Very, very pleased with my 2012 low suspension. At 5'7 - 30" inseam I was right on the bubble as far as seat height. The low bike gave me the option of adding a more comfortably padded seat and still be able to keep the balls of my feet on the ground.

Give it a good test ride and see if it will work for you long term. It is a really great bike!

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.