BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife & I were planning on riding up I287 from NJ and photographing some fall foliage. Should be a great day for it. Any recommendations? Any trips forming?
Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Ride

We love to ride up Rt 28 West from Kingston Thruway exit 19. You can turn on Route 30E into Downsville. You will wind past the resovoir and the scenery is fantastic. A lovely small town to walk around in the summer, but equally beautiful in the Fall. Don

·
Registered
704 Posts
My daughter goes to Marist College in Poughkeepsie. My wife and I rode up there yesterday for a rugby game. (40 degrrreees and cloudy!) Anyway, we have ridden up 87 to exit 18, New Paltz many times. New Paltz is a nice town to walk around and get something to eat. Exit New Paltz going west on 299 up into the Shwangunk Mountains, turn right onto 55 and down the other side of the mountain. This lets you off onto 209. Make a left and follow it all the way to New Milford, PA, over the bridge onto 206 in NJ and south to home. This is a beautiful ride throught the farms and mountains. The color is terrific right now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
retco said:
We love to ride up Rt 28 West from Kingston Thruway exit 19. You can turn on Route 30E into Downsville. You will wind past the resovoir and the scenery is fantastic. A lovely small town to walk around in the summer, but equally beautiful in the Fall. Don
FOLLOWUP: Thanks for the great ride :thumb:
The day was a tad cooler then we hoped but the scenery more then made up for it. 30E is a road that most people only dream of riding, with the timing being about almost perfect. We just made the left turn as a group of 15+ GW's were also rolling in. Had we gotten stuck behind them the experience would have been much different. In hindsight I was impressed with the lack of traffic behind us, probably for the same reason :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BLBantz said:
My daughter goes to Marist College in Poughkeepsie. My wife and I rode up there yesterday for a rugby game. (40 degrrreees and cloudy!) Anyway, we have ridden up 87 to exit 18, New Paltz many times. New Paltz is a nice town to walk around and get something to eat. Exit New Paltz going west on 299 up into the Shwangunk Mountains, turn right onto 55 and down the other side of the mountain. This lets you off onto 209. Make a left and follow it all the way to New Milford, PA, over the bridge onto 206 in NJ and south to home. This is a beautiful ride throught the farms and mountains. The color is terrific right now.
I know the lower part of that route and thank you for the idea. We will definately have to try that one.
BTW, have you ever taken 611S instead of crossing 206? There's some more really great riding area so be had (191, 512) from New Milford. I lived in Warren county, NJ for 10 years before moving to Hunterdon for a few years and finally settling at present location.
Ed

·
Registered
704 Posts
I ride in that area alot. From the New Milford area and around Lake Wallenpaupack I often ride 406, 209, 196 and 191 to 611. Also 611 south to 32 to New Hope or cross over in Frenchtown and take 29. These are all good routes and make a good loop for a day ride. If in Hamlin, PA eat at the outdoor rib joint. Forget the name, but you can't miss it. It's huge and the ribs and chicken are great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts