BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, question about spraying primer. I'm doing my lower fairings (LT) and my son-in-laws trunk. Tried PPG and Napa's primer with virtually the same results. Getting a real rough surface, like lots of fuzz. I'm using my detail gun because of the smaller areas I'm painting.
Is the detail gun what's causing the problem? Not enough volume? Normally, fuzzing would be a result of either too thin a mixture, or too high a pressure (I think). I'm shooting at about 25 pounds, with no thinners in either mixture.
It's really not that big a deal, as it's a sandable primer, so gets taken down anyway, but I'd like some opinions about my process.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Frank
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
fpmlt said:
If so, question about spraying primer. I'm doing my lower fairings (LT) and my son-in-laws trunk. Tried PPG and Napa's primer with virtually the same results. Getting a real rough surface, like lots of fuzz. I'm using my detail gun because of the smaller areas I'm painting.
Is the detail gun what's causing the problem? Not enough volume? Normally, fuzzing would be a result of either too thin a mixture, or too high a pressure (I think). I'm shooting at about 25 pounds, with no thinners in either mixture.
It's really not that big a deal, as it's a sandable primer, so gets taken down anyway, but I'd like some opinions about my process.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Frank
you should be using reducer or thinner to have a smooth finish. The products have an application sheet available from the retailer of manufacturer that tells you the ratio. PM me a phone number if you want to talk in person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Frank,

What Ernie says plus, I think that detail gun may require too much thinning. That is made for small areas of finish type paint which is normally thinner than primer.

A long time ago I bought an HVLP system for painting boats. That will handle thick (latex) type paint to final finish Imron type paint. One of the best investments I ever made (next to the lift table!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I intentionally switched paint brands just to test my theory, and I believe it did demonstrate that the detail gun was the culprit. I have the HVLP gun here, but was just being lazy about cleaning it, so was using the detail gun.
Now that I think back on it, I've used way more paint by spraying and sanding, spraying and sanding etc., that I ever would have with the larger gun.
Think I may get smarter this time.
One last question: any ideas about what to tell my wife about using her greenhouse as a paint booth - when she finds out? I'm pretty sure I can convince her that it came primer gray, but the metallic silver and maroon are my stumbling blocks.

thanks again,
Frank
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
The other issue with not thinning your paint is that it will not adhere properly. The reducer in it also serves to "burn" it into the substrate. You may want to consider sanding off the entire primer coat and shooting it again. Oreilly Auto sells pre-thinned quarts of primer for small jobs like you are doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Frank,

I aint gettin into your domestic problems, you tell your bride what ever you think will work, you are on your own pal. If you broke (painted) it you own it.

Good luck :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA! I figured it out. It's a "color coded" greenhouse. Maroon for the 'maters ''n sech, and silver metallic for the.....
OK, I haven't got it all figured out - yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to revive an old thread, 'specially my own, but I thought that the mistakes I've made and am currently making, might help some one else down the line.
As it turned out, the primer issues were the gun. The detail gun just didn't have the poop to lay the primer on adequately. I primed using my HVLP gun, and it laid on very nicely. The final sanding was a thing of beauty.
I sprayed my top coat of metallic silver titanium, and it was very very nice. I was pleased.
Today I sprayed a clear coat to protect it, making sure that I got the same brand as the paint, and that all was compatible.
Oh, first thing I tried, just for my own education, was to sand a small area underneath with 1200 wet. DON'T. Screwed everything up. But that was OK, I learned and didn't have to keep bugging some one else for find out (Ernie).
Anyway, I clear coated the two side pieces, and sorrowfully watched as the beautiful metallic silver titanium melted away.
Don't know what the hell went wrong, but I'll be out there tomorrow sanding, priming and painting again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
fpmlt said:
Thanks guys. I intentionally switched paint brands just to test my theory, and I believe it did demonstrate that the detail gun was the culprit. I have the HVLP gun here, but was just being lazy about cleaning it, so was using the detail gun.
Now that I think back on it, I've used way more paint by spraying and sanding, spraying and sanding etc., that I ever would have with the larger gun.
Think I may get smarter this time.
One last question: any ideas about what to tell my wife about using her greenhouse as a paint booth - when she finds out? I'm pretty sure I can convince her that it came primer gray, but the metallic silver and maroon are my stumbling blocks.

thanks again,
Frank
Just tell Lynne that you always suspected that she was color blind. This simply confirms your hypothesis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was the argument I used when she started asking why her greenhouse was changing colors - primer to silver to maroon (yamaha)... I don't think she'll buy it twice. But I'll give it a shot!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought I might as well show a picture of what happened, just in case anyone recognizes the problem. I've e-mailed the folks at Rustoleum and asked their opinion, but don't hold out any hopes of an answer.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Frank, now that you have the surfaces prepped with that fancy clearcoat you should finish it off with a good coat of spray in bed liner.

Schweeeeet!

fpmlt said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, 'specially my own, but I thought that the mistakes I've made and am currently making, might help some one else down the line.
As it turned out, the primer issues were the gun. The detail gun just didn't have the poop to lay the primer on adequately. I primed using my HVLP gun, and it laid on very nicely. The final sanding was a thing of beauty.
I sprayed my top coat of metallic silver titanium, and it was very very nice. I was pleased.
Today I sprayed a clear coat to protect it, making sure that I got the same brand as the paint, and that all was compatible.
Oh, first thing I tried, just for my own education, was to sand a small area underneath with 1200 wet. DON'T. Screwed everything up. But that was OK, I learned and didn't have to keep bugging some one else for find out (Ernie).
Anyway, I clear coated the two side pieces, and sorrowfully watched as the beautiful metallic silver titanium melted away.
Don't know what the hell went wrong, but I'll be out there tomorrow sanding, priming and painting again.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top