BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My first post, just been lurking and absorbing data while shopping for a used LT.
I am looking at 2 bikes both in similar (good to excellent) condition. Both priced the same and about what I want to spend. 03 has 48k, salvage title due to theft recovery, bought in Germany and driven all over Europe and I assume, serviced there, but no records. 00 has 68k clean title and known local dealer service history. I am a mechanic and am not worried too much about the inherent mechanical issues but rather any improvements, design features or options not available on the 2000 that were added in 03 that I may want later.
Thanks to all who have pioneered problem solving which has already made my experience easier. Any information or opinions about these bikes would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The 03 LT has updated final drive bearing that have few failures compared to 99 through 02 models. Also starting with 02 models the brakes are servo assist abs . Those are main two differences. Good luck with your shopping and purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
This thread should give you relevant information:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63818&highlight=2000+models

I fouund it by searching with "2000 models"

aA big differance between those years is the braking system. The 03 has the front and rear brakes linked while the 00's brakes are not linked.

If you scan through the site you will find a few LTs with over 100K.

Both of those bikes should have had the stock shocks replaced. The one with 68K might be on it;s second set?

I mention the shocks because replacing them can easily go over $1000 touching $1500 some times.

If you get on her hard in 5th gear that will give you a pretty good idea if the clutch is slipping.

With both of those bikes the stock low beam totally inadequate.

If either of those still have rubber brake lines it's a good idea to replace them with stainkee steel ones.

Come to think of it this thread will give you info on 2000s:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63725&highlight=becketma

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
On the subject of servo assisted brakes, although they are considered an improvement by many, there are many of us folks with the older ABS II non-servo type brakes who are very happy to not have the servo type. The brake flushing and bleeding is a breeze on the older ones, and you still have all the advantages of ABS, just no servo whining at you all the time!

Plus the 2000 model sounds like it has a better, or at least accessible maintenance history, which can be important.

Just my $.02!

John
clayton said:
The 03 LT has updated final drive bearing that have few failures compared to 99 through 02 models. Also starting with 02 models the brakes are servo assist abs . Those are main two differences. Good luck with your shopping and purchase.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
The bearing did not change (except for production shortages) all years use the same one. the process for installation did change making the later years more reliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
K1200lt Speakers Cutting Out

Could someone explain to me how to post an issue on the site? I would really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I really like the simpler braking system on my 2000. I've assisted on a pre-emptive final drive rebuild and shift linkage; add starter relay [using oem relay as pilot relay]; ss brake lines; HID low beam lamp; back rest; passenger arm rests [we're old] and a buncha' other little things to up my bikes reliability. I prefer it to a newer bike, although, when you drop that damn thing at a stop sign or light...you may wish you'd gotten the newer bike [steering geometry is a little different to kinda' counteract the bikes tendency to take a dump if you're using the front brake at slow speed with any turn at all.]

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Re: K1200lt Speakers Cutting Out

joeld49 said:
Could someone explain to me how to post an issue on the site? I would really appreciate the help.
Easy-peezy!

Go to FORUMS at the top of this page. Select the forum that best describes your topic, click and look for the tab at the upper left that says "New Thread" Click and start your ISSUE :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I prefer the 2000 over the 2003 because of the braking system, independant instead of linked, if the abs pump goes out on the 03, it is muy expensive, and your brakes are shitty without it, on the 00, brakes work with or without it...better with tho, abs rocks when a deer steps out in front of you....at 68k, if the final drive was going to be an issue, it already was....other than that, as far as the bikes go, there isn't much difference until you get to 05 and later...good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts