BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking at a low mileage used 2003 LT and am wondering if the 03's had any major issues to be aware of

Does it have the new final drive bearing?
Was CommSystem a solid product?
Any hesitation problems?
Any recalls?

Been sitting mostly for over a year. Should there be any concern for seals leaking?

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'll tell ya, my biggest problem is that it won't stay put in the garage. Every time I go near it it makes me take it out for a ride. It's like having a dog that needs walking all the time...

Other than that, I've had no problems with my '03. I'm not sure if it has the new drive bearing--I think the 03s do, and I don't have the CommSystem.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
JohnR said:
Am looking at a low mileage used 2003 LT and am wondering if the 03's had any major issues to be aware of

Does it have the new final drive bearing?
Was CommSystem a solid product?
Any hesitation problems?
Any recalls?

Been sitting mostly for over a year. Should there be any concern for seals leaking?

Any input would be appreciated.
haven't had any problems with mine. got one recall notice regarding the fuel coupling but i've ignored it. i've had a close look at that coupling and it looks fine to me.

the new rear bearing is supposed to be in place by '03 but there seems to be some doubt that:

1) it is universal among all '03s.
2) that it eliminates the risk of rear-drive failure

but like i said ... so far, so good.

no comms system problems at all. works great.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I have an LTE 03 model and Like Larry mine has to be ridden almost daily, otherwise I am not sure what it would do, it has threatened me a coupla times so I just oblige and ride often and far.

The Com system has a small quirk that has taken me awhile to figure out the vox setting for the front mike is more sensitive than the rear. so I have to turn up the sens for my wife to activate the talk sequence. She has had some real issues with not being able to talk to me at times, have replaced some cables looking for the problem, by accident I discovered the problem.

Other than that, I have installed 19K miles on "The Beerburner" this past year, and I am a NEWBIE!

·
Registered
265 Posts
'03 Lte

I have had three minor issues with the LT. The radiator cap was defective and caused my radiator to overflow. Replaced cap and no problems. The second issue was the radio antenna being incorrectly installed and causing a short. Reinstalled and no problems. The third issue is I blow a fuse every now and then on the comm system. No idea on the cause. It has happened twice in three years. I carry a supply of extra fuses in the oddments box. Other than that, the LT is the best combination of touring comfort and excellent performance I have ridden.......although I will test drive a new GT as soon as they are out. I'd love more snap from the throttle!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
She has had some real issues with not being able to talk to me at times...
Was that by design??? :D :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
John,

I would agree that the only problem I have with my LT is that I can't ride it enough.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
No issues other than I can't ride it enough! From info learned on this site - the 2003's and newer have not had any reardrive failures, and all should have the new drive.

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have the '03 and have not had any problems. I do my own maintenance on it; had to changed one bucket (cam follower). I have change rear-drive oil several times and have never found any metal chips or evidence of any bearing trouble.
I have put nearly 34K miles on it in the last 2 yrs. I think it is the best motorcycle around and would not take any other brand for it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
03 lt

i bought a new 03 lte in march of 03. it now has 45000 miles. the only thing i have done is change the oil & fliter regular. change tires when needed. it has never given me problems. i came over from a harley_ i thought i died and went to heaven.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Of the over 40 bikes I have owned, my 2003 has to be my favorite. The only other bike that I would consider replacing it with would be a 2006.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've had a '03 ltc since april. Bought it with about 800 miles on it. It now has almost 15K on it. I have had it on two cross country trips. Other then the dealer replacing the speedo (speedo way out) and the starter (there was a missing lug from assembly - I never saw it, but took their word for it) and the usual shift linkage (it was a demo before the original owner bought it from the dealer and rode it for about 7 miles ). I put over 14K on it..

Mechanical problems?? NONE !!! Got to keep the tires inflated properly. I just can't ride it as much as I want to because of snow and ice waaaaa!!!!!...

Great machine...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ooops, forgot to mention. My only issue was the shift linkage breaking. Luckily I was close to home, managed to get it into 3rd and got her there just fine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Thanks to all the responses on their 03 LT's.

I guess I have no choice, I'm just going to have to get it.

See ya on the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts