BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any ideas or resources on where I can pick up some touch up paint. The color I need is Sinus Blue. I picked up a 98 RT and the mirrors have some scratches on them that I would like to touch up.

Thanks
Mark

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
4-5 years ago I was able to get a small container of matching paint from the local BMW dealer that I got the bike from.

BUT, when I used it, I just wasn't able to really do a good job of matching up the work. There were several deep gouges in the plastic. Just recently I took my bike to a very small family owned body shop that was able to fix my repairs and a few scratches perfectly. They used their own paint and did a super job of matching it up. This was after several large body shops refused to even look at it because it was a motorcycle. Total cost to repair and paint the side case was around $150.00.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the mirrors to a few local body shops and they were all around $250. They were none to excited about doing it because "it would take their guys a while to get to them" lots of hail damage repair going on in the area. I can pick up two new mirrors on ebay for around $225.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The colorirte stuff is available in several container types and are good matches.

You can find a bike painter almost anywhere prices will be lower than car joints. Ask around at local bike shops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Member Here. Happy New Year 2011 To All. Looking For The Impossible Color That The Factory Dealer Does Not Sell Anymore. You Can Buy The Painted Piece. I Am Looking For Toskanagrun Green. Does Not Need To Be Metallic. Touch Up Chip Marks. I Just Got The 02 K1200lt. I Have Research Car Paint. Different Code? Has Anybody Else Have This Colored Bike Or Car?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Had a similar experience as Dano... I had a local paint and body shop match my RT's Ostra Gray Matte to color-matching my top case cover; excellent job! These days any body shop worth their salt can do a pretty good job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just went to a Sherwin-Williams Automotive paint store today. They took a picture of my paint with their machine and found a matching color. I double checked with the chip, looks right on. They're mixing up 1/2 pint for me to paint my top box to match the bike. My dad has all the other supplies to paint it and will help shoot the color and clear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most auto paint suppliers will be able to make some up for you. My local paint shop will even supply the paint in rattle
cans. Works out cheaper than the usual automotive shop.
I had the option to get it put in a rattle can, and if I were doing it myself, that's the rout I would've taken. But since my dad has all the other stuff. We're going to do a base-coat clear-coat polyurethane paint job. The finish will be harder and more durable when we're done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts