BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all !

Dunno if I am the first person to attach a mp3 file to that forum. BTW I hope you will appreciate it !

It is the sound of one of the 2 horns that bus and underground metro trains use in my town (they have another horn that is much more powerful).

Guess what I'd like to have a horn that does the same sound on my LT :D

I will keep the genuine one but it is so loud... I would definetely need a second one, more smooth, less aggressive.

Do you think I could find that on internet ?

Thanks,

Pierre-Alain

PS : as mp3 is not a valid file format for uploading, I had to compress it as a zip file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
That's not a horn, that's a bell!

You'll likely have to find some kinda synthisized noise maker to do that. Mount up a loudspeaker an all.

Them Trams gots a few more places to stash goodies.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Pierre-Alain: not sure in what circumstance you plan on using the 'clanger bell', butt just a thought. Maybe you could find (or record your own copy) a cassette tape, or a CD that has that sound on track. You could activate it and then you could provide your desired volume thru the radio controls.

Best

·
Registered
96 Posts
Horn Info also...

I was on a european motorcoach recently that had a great airhorn. Maybe a Fiamm brand. I'd really like one for the LT like it... it is an alternating two tone... lo-hi, lo-hi, not like the French Police style Hiii-Looo, Hiii-Looo... Get it? I've searched the US Fiamm site and can't seem to find the right thing.

I think I can use an 555 IC in an astable oscillator to switch a relay where the lo and hi horns are connected for an alternating tone. Sound reasonable?

Any legal issues with doing this?

Any help tracking down a "ready to use" horn would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Its always impressed me that this is the only bike, and only web site for the bike that doesn't have a continuous recurring thread about securing a "better" horn for the bike.

To my knowledge, no one has ever bitched about the horn being whimpy ;) Being too loud is a consideration only in a country of genteel drivers...your profile only says "Europe". No demand in this wild frontier colony... My guess is that the supplier to the bus and rail car manufacturers would be the best bet. Yep, they may be too bulky for MC use.

By comparison, JC Whitney and other motorcycle warehouses have a selection of "air horns" to replicate steam whistles and truck horns...they are much smaller than the "truck" versions, but still only fit on Gold Wings (IMO ;^) ). Not much help here, but let us know if you find a simple solution. Good Luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
G'day all

I scared the kaa kaa out of myself when I hit the horn button by mistake instead of the indicator switch. Wow!!! Then I read / heard somewhere that the horns are also used on the beemer cars, is this true?

Love the horn though, used to the meep meep on the Jap bikes and when I hit the switch on the beemer, BEEP BEEP!!!!! Hear that you deaf cagers!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
531 Posts
When ever I am tired I hit the horn button not the cancel directional and do the same... wow are these horns loud! I have replaced the horns from my SVT Focus with the K12's... much better now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your advices guys. Yet, what I've learn is that this horn exists in 2 versions in our french busses. The old version acts like a bell and is made with 2 pieces of metal that touch each other to produce this specific sound. I'm afraid this might to large to fit on the LT.

The newer version is "synthetic", most likely a bell sound that has been digitalized/recorded and which is played when you press the button.

I'm still investigating and will let you know.

Cheers,

Pierre-Alain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts