BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for something that will do the following:

Has WiFi so that when I'm out riding xcountry I can look up motels and their rates, find interesting things in areas, etc.

Has a good MP3 player. The one in my GPS works but has lack luster,boring sound. Plus, it doesn't randomly play songs. Playing wave files, or some kind of lossless music files would be a great plus.

Has blue tooth for at least the MP3, audio player.

An LCD display greater than 4 inches so that I can read what I can find on the internet.

It would be great if I can use this device with a rear view camera.

Of course, the ultimate would be is it was a great GPS that responded to audio commands via blue tooth!!

Lastly, it does not have to be a cell phone.

If anyone knows of such a creature I'd appreciate that information, especially how well it handles those functions.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I can't imagine that there would be a market for the product. WiFi does nothing if you don't have a way to connect to the Internet, lossless audio on a bike makes little sense since there is too much noise to distinguish the nuisances in the music it would reveal over mp3. Too me it seems like an extra expense with no real benefit. Do you want a screen large enough to browse the net while riding? I carry an iPad for checking on things and keeping up to date during rest stops and my iPhone for my music on the go.

Just my thoughts

Gerhard

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I-phone here. No I-pad either.

I'll only be using this for long distance rides.

I do not surf the internet while riding--can't find a mouse that works on tupperware or a keyboard I can use with gloves on.

Bob

·
IBR# 366
16,655 Posts
At this point, the iPad is the only thing that will do all that you want reliably and without hassle. An iPhone will do it, too, but the screen is kinda small for use on the bike.

Google has just announced the Nexus 7 Tablet, but until they actually start shipping the thing and we see if it lives up to its marketing claims, it's still just vaporware.

Tere are rumors of an 8" iPad coming for the holiday season, but those are still just rumors.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see tablets from China that use Android 2,3 OS, MP# players, with WiFi and blue tooth; some with analog TV tuners and GPS. No mention though of my dream of voice controlled GPS?

But, since I have a rather new GPS the other features are what I am looking for.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi David

I read about your saga.

I recently came across this:
http://www.httbuy.com/freelander-pd...ghz-1g-ram-8gb-gps-bluetooth-wcdma-white.html

Pretty freightening--how fast technology goes combined with production in China.

It seems as if that thing does MP3+, blue-tooth, WiFi, GPS, and can be used as a cell phone.

I found a similar Android device with MP3+, blue-tooth, WiFi, and a small remote controll.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Bob,
I know you said no iPhone/iPad but you might want to look at what Apple will be doing with Siri version 6 this fall. Apple link here . I would think that since you can launch apps via voice Apple's directions/GPS will be in there.

I did a little more research and came accross this write-up on Siri and Google now, click here

·
IBR# 366
16,655 Posts
Plus strong rumors of an 8" iPad by the end of the year, for about half the price, make this even more tempting.

The only issue would be getting a waterproof case, but the aftermarket will get that sorted right quick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.