BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a lot of real IT folks here so I'm thinking that their opinions on good, free antivirus software would count for a lot.

Googled and there's a lot for free but as a casual user, don't know which is good and what isn't. Suspect that some of it is probably loaded up with spyware.

A lot of times, free means it isn't good enough to sell at a profit or someone will want their money back real soon if they paid for it. Maybe an aggravating feature you would gladly pay to get rid of in a week or two.

Need to put an antivirus on my new laptop but which one?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I have been using Norton for a decade or so, but it is a paid for subscription. On my laptop I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free, and it seems to be doing a really good job. I am using Google Chrome, not IE, so it should work just fine with Firefox too.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Jim said:
Ron,

Can you use this with Firefox or are you locked into IE?

Thanks,
Yes..Firefox works fine with it. I only use Firefox or Chrome

Ron

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I get my AV paid for as the company want me to remote into our office systems from my home PC once in a while,

But for folks not wanting to pay, Free AVG does a good job, know plenty of folks who use this, and add to this the free version of Malwarebytes, should be good to go.

My biggest gripe about AV is the amount of CPU/Ram it consumes, have tested Sophos (what I have) against what I concider to be the next best AV, Kaspersky, you should be able to pick up a copy of kaspersky for about $30.00 a year with all the updates.

Unless you are anal about your backups, $30.00 is nothing to pay for a little security, but at the end of the day you can't beat careful surfing, and don't click on anything you get sent.

Be safe out there in the glorious WWW.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Most or the retail products just use up to many resources....

I too recomment the Microsoft Security Essentials..

It has not been beaten on any of my machines so far...
Norton, Mcafee, AVG, AVAST, have all failed my customers at one time or another..
Most will not protect you from the malware that's running around.. The MSE so far has...

John

·
Registered
119 Posts
For the last 12 months I've been using VIPRE Antivirus Premium by Sunbelt Software. It is a paid subscription, but the license covers every PC in the house - so my laptops and desktop are covered as well as my daughter's. One of their selling points is the low CPU usage. I don't notice it running on my desktop or laptops. It updates the definition files a number of times everyday. My subscription runs out next month - I'll be renewing it.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
gunny said:
We got a lot of real IT folks here so I'm thinking that their opinions on good, free antivirus software would count for a lot.

Googled and there's a lot for free but as a casual user, don't know which is good and what isn't. Suspect that some of it is probably loaded up with spyware.

A lot of times, free means it isn't good enough to sell at a profit or someone will want their money back real soon if they paid for it. Maybe an aggravating feature you would gladly pay to get rid of in a week or two.

Need to put an antivirus on my new laptop but which one?
Use use 3 AV/AS programs: Avast (free), MS Security Essentials and Spybot.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The best "Antivirus Software" I have found is a Mac. :D
Sorry but someone had to say it. :rolleyes:

BTW I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my work laptop (Deli mini)_

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
kellenbenz said:
I have been using the free " Microsoft Security Essentials" for about a year now and it has done a perfect job so far.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Ron
:thumb:

At work this past summer we had serious virus issue. IT tracked down where it was but our installed, paid for and contracted product (a major product) never found it. One of the IT guys insalled Microsoft Security Essentials and presto! Virus found and removed. The said part is that it was a virus that was in the news at least a year prior so the paid for product should've had it in its database.

I've been using the MS one with different email and browsers since it was MS Defender.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
No single soluting will provide total protection. We've been let down at work by MSE and Mcaffee only to be saved by malewarebytes. At home I'm using two. Avast and Malewarebytes. Whatever you do you need to keep it updated and be smart about what you download or click on.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
OS X :D

Comes with a free complete system backup/restore utility as well . . .

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
mwnahas said:
One of these?
:D
Well, that's sort of a trade secret: sagging anchors as an AV system......:D

·
Cat Herder
1,458 Posts
Or some of these... I f you look at this picture your computer will fix itself...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
So, on a related subject.... it seems like it would be necessary to run some type of AV or internet security on a smart phone....but I haven't really seen that come up as much (yet).... what do you guys use on your droid based phones? :confused:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts