BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to replace my rear caliper and antilock brake sensor on my 2000 K1200LT. I bought both used from eBay. Everything went smoothly and I checked the gap on the sensor. I started the bike on the center stand and as usual the antilock lights started flashing. However, they never went off. I put it in gear on the stand since normally they go off half-way up the street. But they keep flashing.

Does this mean my sensor is bad, or is there some reset procedure I need to go through?

·
Registered
411 Posts
acs5166 said:
I just had to replace my rear caliper and antilock brake sensor on my 2000 K1200LT. I bought both used from eBay. Everything went smoothly and I checked the gap on the sensor. I started the bike on the center stand and as usual the antilock lights started flashing. However, they never went off. I put it in gear on the stand since normally they go off half-way up the street. But they keep flashing.

Does this mean my sensor is bad, or is there some reset procedure I need to go through?
Try riding it.
The ABS synchronization/diagnosis wants both wheels to be turning. Not surprised it doesn't work with only the rear wheel spinning.
You might also make sure both fluid reservoirs under the passenger seat are full.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
blouw said:
Try riding it. The ABS synchronization/diagnosis wants both wheels to be turning. Not surprised it doesn't work with only the rear wheel spinning.
Agree. Just don't ride it off the center stand and expect the ABS to reset. Ask me how I know.

blouw said:
You might also make sure both fluid reservoirs under the passenger seat are full.
Don't think this one applies to an '00 model.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
The older ABS II system faults can only be rest by the dealer. You most likely have fixed the problem but a quick visit to the dealer is in order to get the fault reset. The newer (integral) systems will clear a fault on its own once fixed.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Oops, reset may be a bad word. How about "set"? He has not ridden the bike yet so no one knows whether there is an actual "fault".

·
Registered
362 Posts
Flashing abs lights

Jack
How are they flashing?
Back and forth or together?
Together means JUST RIDE IT ,. you have to ride so both sensors are reading on both wheels
back and forth could mean low battery or faults in the ABS

acs5166 said:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
I guess we really should have asked WHY did you replace the caliper and sensor in the first place? Was there a fault? Other wise just drive it a bit and see if it clears normally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim - They are flashing back and forth. I just charged my battery, so that should be OK. I just put in new brake fluid so that should be OK also (I'll recheck this).

-- Jack

tsBMWminer said:

Jack
How are they flashing?
Back and forth or together?
Together means JUST RIDE IT ,. you have to ride so both sensors are reading on both wheels
back and forth could mean low battery or faults in the ABS

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah - good question. My rear drive went last fall while I was riding. I had to ride it for a while with the rear wheel wobbling. The end result was that it melted the ABS sensor and slightly messed up my brake caliper (i.e. scraped some metal off onto the brake rotor) I found a used caliper complete with ABS sensor on eBay for a reasonable price, and installed it. I am also doing some electrical work (speedo MPH fix, new heated grips, move XM radio) so the bike has been in parts in my garage since October and I'm dying to get it going again.

-- Jack

jzeiler said:
I guess we really should have asked WHY did you replace the caliper and sensor in the first place? Was there a fault? Other wise just drive it a bit and see if it clears normally.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Ok, I seem to remember that post. You most likely will have to get it reset by the dealer if it does not clear on the road test. There are no fluid level sensors in your system. Let us know if it clears on the road test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts