BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the air in my region (still) seems to get worse, I am thinking about using a mask on the bike.
However, I have never used something alike, at least not on a bike.
So I would very much like to know if there are users of something as is shown in the picture,
a mask with an active carbon filter that can be replaced. I would use it in combination with a J1 helmet.
Thanks in advance for the comments and insights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Interesting Issue. A pal and I spent 8 days riding in California last Fall. Many miles each day doing passes, highways and such. Plenty of traffic, and I mean plenty. Both of us developed a cough. I suspect it was dust and exhaust.

·
Registered
362 Posts
beech said:
Interesting Issue. A pal and I spent 8 days riding in California last Fall. Many miles each day doing passes, highways and such. Plenty of traffic, and I mean plenty. Both of us developed a cough. I suspect it was dust and exhaust.
Pollen, it's been bad out here last few years.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car (a volvo XC70) indeed has an active carbon cabin filter as part of what Volvo calls the Interior Air Quality system.
It also samples the air quality and will switch to internal circulation if things become too bad.
I must say it works quite well, a lot of "odors" are kept outside and the air always "feels" clean and fresh,
perhaps resulting in safer long distance riding. Unfortunately this will not happen (soon?) on the bike :eek:
A mask could indeed be more pleasant to wear in the colder seasons :)
I also began thinking about the possibility to wear a mask since I learned that a number of people die
each year as a result of air pollution, primarily it seems to be due to the fine dust emitted by diesel cars.
The dust seems to attract other pollutants, the resulting clusters still being small enough to enter the
bloodstream through the lungs. Doesn't sound very pleasant, does it!
To make things worse, Belgium is a very "dieseled" market :(
Perhaps a mask can also filter out pollen, this could restrict the use of it to certain periods during the year.
And, last but not least, a mask could provide some riders with a more esthetic look :p
sorry for that last remark, it is probably applicable on myself to begin with :eek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Gaby,
I used to have one of the first generation Respro-Bandit masks circa 1992(?so long ago?).
The one youve pictured looks better in that it has a more substantial mask with large cut-outs for the filter. The old respro was just a double layer of cloth with a filter pad inbetween. I bought it to try and overcome the crippling hayfever I used to have. What I found was that exhaled moisture would slowly clog the mask up and that it wasnt comfy to wear under a full-face helmet. It would usually work loose and air would leak around the nose clip, rendering it useless. In cold weather it would freeze and summer was too warm...
Lazer used to do a snowmobile helmet- the Revolution- with a built-in facemask, but it was massively heavy and claustrophobic. It was a system-style helmet, but the sun visor only worked when the main visor was closed. It had replaceable foam and carbon filter elements.
What helmet do you use normally? If its a Jet-style or MX then you have more options as there is more space infront of your mouth.
If you want to try riding in a filter mask, Id suggest experimenting with the cheap disposable masks from Praxis or Gamma first. Those with a higher filtration rating have exhaust valves built-in which allow your breath to escape easier. They are also less bulky than your pictured mask, and likely more cost-effective.
Thinking even further... a small air pump with a larger filter attached to your bike, with a tube to deliver air to your helmet. If you keep the visor/vents/chin curtain closed then you would generate a positive pressure within the helmet, effectively venting excess clean pumped-in air and keeping the dirty air out (cleanroom/nuclear power-plant style...)..

Just thinking laterally...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aha, someone has been there, and some 20 years ago already, wow! I mostly wear a Schuberth J1 jet helmet.
I use the kind of (3M) filters (separately) that go in the neoprene mask at work and I agree that breathing comfort is not perfect.
On the other hand, respiration needs are mostly lower while driving than while working, at least not with my riding style :)
I would hope that the mask makes the filter fit tighter so that leaks can be avoided. Seen the asking price, I think I will give
ir a try, perhaps I ca start a hype (not very probable, I know)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cripes! 20 years? Hadnt thought of it like that!!! That means Ive now been riding for over half of my life (until now...)!
Yeah, you have options with the J1- plenty of room. Why not make a statement (send photos to Promotor bijv.) and ride with one of those big filter masks? Very post-apocalypse-industrial... :D (joke)
My experience is that the paper masks form better to the face than the neoprene -type you have pictured... but your choice. How about pics when you are kitted up?
Sounds like you have an interesting job- cleanroom, laboratory, medical, painter/powdercoater???

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
japachap said:
My experience is that the paper masks form better to the face than the neoprene -type you have pictured...
If I am not mistaken, then the neoprene mask contains a paper one. that is the reason I hope the paper element will fit the face
in a better way than would be the case with a paper mask by itself, being attached with elastic strings only. It depends on the
elasticity of the neoprene. If that falls short of the expectations, then the whole contraption may be worthless.
Should I go for a mask, I will certainly post a photo :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Scott air pack maybe, if you are really concerned.... :confused:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Aha- geting and idea of where you hail from Gaby...
TBH the whole coastline from Duinkerke right up to Rotterdam is really heavilly industrialised. Every time we make the road trip back to the UK I see dark smog along the seaward horizon, and Antwerpen in the summer is just naaaaasty (shame, as its not a bad city otherwise!).

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live north of Antwerp within walking distance of the dutch border.
The circumstances are reasonable there, but my daily ride brings
me to the heart of the petro-chemical industry cluster of the port.
That is the main reason I am thinking about wearing a mask.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts