BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted remove the radio antenna this morning, and it appears there is a spring and/or wire attached to the end of the antenna.

I was not prepared for that (didn't have any light and had to put it back on).
I have less than no clearance in the storage area to play with it, having to bend the antenna just to get the nut off.

Is there more I need to know?

Need to get this off for winter storage. Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that is the case, which I believe should be, then there is something broken off inside from the antenna. Sort of goes along with all the other problems..... :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
The spring should not be attached to the antenna. It might be corroded a little so it's stuck, carefully wiggle it. The spring should stay in the base and the mast should lift off it.

Edit: Maybe it was the other way around? Is the spring attached to the whip and not the base? Maybe mine is faulty. It lifted away, I cleaned it, put it back, and have enjoyed great reception since.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Rick-L said:
The spring should not be attached to the antenna. It might be corroded a little so it's stuck, carefully wiggle it. The spring should stay in the base and the mast should lift off it.
As far as I know, the spring is captive to the whip. If yours lifted away, it was faulty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The spring is attached to the bottom of the mast and makes contact to the base via a contact that is at the end of the spring. So one end of the spring attaches to the antenna and the other attaches to the contact.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was finally able to get the antenna off.

Apparently the spring was corroded and stuck to the antenna, and twisted itself into a mess as the antenna was screwed off.

Can that be replaced by itself, or is it part of the wiring into the base?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you open the side bag and remove he four screws on the botton of the antenna base you can pull the base wire down this should show you how its put together. The spring can be replaced. I replaced mine with a stainless steel one I found at the local hardware store.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you've done this, can I just pull the old spring out, or do I need to take the unit apart and attach the spring to the wire inside the base to reinstall, first. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
What year is your bike? Mine is a 2003. The later models 2005 and up have a slightly different style. If it's a 2005. or up you need to remove the wiring from the bottom of the base to update the spring.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 99LT. Reason I ask is, I already sealed the top of the base for winter after removing the antenna, and didn't want to take off the rubber seal I installed which is going nowhere, unless I need to. If, I can pull the spring and install another without taking anything else apart, I will get another spring this week. If more than that, it can wait till next year. Either way, it is best not to have to figure out something, that someone else has already done.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sound like someone modified the base by attached the spring to the wire. This is not a factory setup but is a modification often done to improve reception.

·
Registered
361 Posts
bghubr said:
Sound like someone modified the base by attached the spring to the wire. This is not a factory setup but is a modification often done to improve reception.
That's right. On my 2000LT, I replaced the aerial complete. The original spring was quite clearly spot welded to the whip. The replacement was identical in every respect.

I have modified the old aerial base by cutting a piece off. It now fits the opposite side and will get modified with a SO239 socket and dual band Amateur Radio whip when it finally arrives!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts