BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a LT newbe, one of my dislikes is the radio antenna - you have to unscrew it to put a cover on the bike - which I even do in my garage, or anywhere else it sits for more than an hour.

Does anyone have a source for a stubby replacement, or folding mechanism like the Goldwing??

Thanx! :confused:

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
How's about putting a grommet in...

I know a lot of guys have put a metal grommet in the cover for the antenna to pass through. Try a search of the site and see what you come up with. Yes, the antenna is an issue - I've got 2 on the bike.

Tom

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another way to take care of this is to cut a small opening on the bike cover for the antenna.
The original BMW cover for the K1200LT has such an opening pre-cut. Of course, they also sewed velcro onto each side of the hole so that one can close it real tight.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hidaway

Thanks - the grommet really isn't a viable option - It's easier to take tha antenna off.

So where does one get switched power for the hideaway???

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Tom_Becker said:
I know a lot of guys have put a metal grommet in the cover for the antenna to pass through. Try a search of the site and see what you come up with. Yes, the antenna is an issue - I've got 2 on the bike.

Tom
I'd go with a plastic grommet, to avoid possible scratches from a metal grommet.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
lord_helmet said:
...The original BMW cover for the K1200LT has such an opening pre-cut. Of course, they also sewed velcro onto each side of the hole so that one can close it real tight.
My BMW dust cover doesn't have a pre-cut opening. It's black fabric, meant for indoors -- not outdoors -- use, and is about a year old.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My blue plastic grommets pulled out of my indoor cover after a few months. So I took the cover to an upholstery shop and they sewed back-to-back vinyl patches, about 4 inches square, sandwiching the soft cover material. Then I put the blue plastic tarp grommets back in. Works fine. I would have preferred some nice soft pliable leather, but they did not follow my instructions...

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Snip»..So where does one get switched power for the hideaway???..«

I got the power for mine off the passenger seat heater circut

Hope this is of help ...Patric ...

·
IBR# 366
16,542 Posts
Another option is to get a decent half cover. I use a Dowco Guardian, but there are several versions available that are waterproof, light weight, and pack up small. Mine lives behind the passenger seat and is always available wherever the bike goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts