BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone jumps in about how the reception will be degraded with anything other than factory, let me first say,..yes, I'm aware of that. I would like to have an antenna, just not the long whip stock antenna. I ride without the top case most of the time so it seems kinda out of place. The RT has a nice clean look to it, and up front out of the way and not a barrier to installing a cover, etc. Curious if anyone has done a mod to the LT that uses the RT antenna and how it worked out with fit, connectors, reception, etc?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
no reason I can think of that it wouldn't work its only an aerial shouldn't matter where it is fitted, but you may need to run an earth wire to the aerial base.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no reason I can think of that it wouldn't work its only an aerial shouldn't matter where it is fitted, but you may need to run an earth wire to the aerial base.

yes,..that's my take as well. I'm finding the R1200RT antenna appears to have special connector for that bike that is not your typical antenna lead. That concerns me because the LT radio ( at least the 2004) has your typical old fashioned antenna connector. Looks like the R1100RT might be a better choice for fit since it uses that typical old style connector. I'll check around online for those instead of the 1200RT

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Before anyone jumps in about how the reception will be degraded with anything other than factory, let me first say,..yes, I'm aware of that. I would like to have an antenna, just not the long whip stock antenna. I ride without the top case most of the time so it seems kinda out of place. The RT has a nice clean look to it, and up front out of the way and not a barrier to installing a cover, etc. Curious if anyone has done a mod to the LT that uses the RT antenna and how it worked out with fit, connectors, reception, etc?

Thanks
I think that is totally cool. I had two GL and installed rubber-duckie antenna on both...the GL has about the ugliest butt-long antenna ever.

I still have a rubber duckie antenna laying around. If someone wants it you are welcome to have it for free...but you gotta pay the shipping...which in the long run, its probably not worth it. They ain't that expensive at car-part places.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is that a fact? :histerica

There is a Mr Marconi on line two, wants a word in your shell like. :smile:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Axle -- Thanks for pointing that out. The aftermarket aerials assume you're mounting to sheet metal. The fiche page for the RT (item 7) shows just such a ground strap when mounting to the front fairing. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went with the Jensen JAN139 6" antenna. These can be had from several retailers for under $15. 39" of antenna lead is nice. I tuned to a station about 20 miles away in downtown Knoxville, got only static...plugged in the antenna, loud and clear. Not a super scientific study, but good enough for me,..and looks decent on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cravenspeed has some stubby antennas list for some BMW's, I have to see if I can get one to work on the LT's. I just receive some for the Harleys, I haven't tried them yet so I can't say nothing yet on how they work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts