BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I went out and started my 2005 LT. While it was warming up, I started to dress out in my RevIt riding gear, Shark Evoline Helmet, and gloves.

While dressing out, I turned on the radio. Bike was already running. The digital display on the 2005 was blank...no trip odometer, no temp, nothing.

I obviously found this odd, but wanted to ride.

I mounted my trusty steed and the dash lights all illuminated, just as if I had inserted the key and turned the moto on.

The dash lights went out, then she did it again. Dolly was trying to tell me something.

Flashback: My ABS and general warning lights have been flashing for a few months now. I have checked that my brake fluid reservoirs were both full, my front brake pads were fine, and I replaced my rear brake pads. Yet, the dash lights still flashed. John Z and others offered that a weak batter might be the next cause of the flashing lights.

Flash forward: After the second flashing of the dash lights the RPM started to decrease and not throttle was going to keep Dolly running. She died.

Every attempt to start her just resulted in a lot of cranking and no kicking over.

I removed the battery (because I respect what John Z offers for advice) and took it to my dealer. They tested it and charged it for 3 days. The battery eventually charged fully and I picked it up yesterday. Ironically, I was prepared to buy a new battery just because of the advice offered on this forum last month.

I installed the "now fully charged" battery and Dolly turned over and screamed "hallelujah, I want to live"!!!

Now the question is: How did my battery get so low that Dolly appeared to restart herself even while she was already running.

I used to have a Blitzsafe installed in place of the CD Changer. Last week I replaced it with a DICE unit. I have read about the DICE unit's power draw, but I don't think that in only one week that it would have taken my battery down so low that Dolly would have tried to restart herself while running, especially since the brake/general warning lights have been flashing for a couple of months.

I do ride all winter and I do wear Gerbing pant/jacket liners and the occasional Gerbing gloves. But I keep Dolly on a tender at least 1 week on, 1 week off.

I just wanted to share this story with the community. Although Dolly kicked over last night, I won't get to ride her until next Saturday because I am away from home for the rest of this week.

Cheers, and ride safe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Glad "Dolly" started for you. I am considering purchasing a DICE Duo system, how do you like yours?

Does the DIce work as designed?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
When my battery gets low, when I start my bike it sounds as if its not cranking as usual. The difference is subtle enough that I wonder if I heard it?

Then the starter just barely turns her over, or not at all.

I don't remember anyone reporting your symptoms in the past.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got the DICE. I bought it used from a forum member. I don't have but a few miles to report. The music sounded fine. I haven't figured out how to read the text info (artist, song, etc) on my 2005 dash yet. Rumor is that it is possible.

There are tons of posts that I have found using SEARCH that talk about DICE and it's constant power draw. They also touch on various solutions (cut the CD Changer power lead and replace it with a keyed, relay driven power wire).

@ BecketMa, she continued to crank strong after the flashing dash light episode, just wouldn't kick.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I keep my 99LT on a battery tender anytime I am not sure I will be riding in the next two days. If left to sit for as little as a week, cranking is noticeably slow. If it sits for two weeks, it likely won't start. No issues once I started using the battery tender. I always figured there is just that much draw from the electronics.
Ross

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If your battery is original 2005, I suggest you purchase a new one (AGM Oddessy is very good)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I concur with the battery trickle charger... I have to keep mine constantly hooked up, or within 2 weeks, it won't start. I also second the oddessy battery.... I have one in both my bikes.

I have a system similar to the Dice Duo system on my bike. I have the IPOD adapter where my cassette player is.. it works ok, but sometimes freezes up my IPOD, and I have to reboot it. I will check and let you all know the manufacturer.

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Yup. Haven't seen that symptom before :"she continued to crank strong after the flashing dash light episode, just wouldn't kick."

Some where on this site is a voltage measurement that indicates when it's time to replace a fully charged batt.

I'm generally out twice a week on my 00. If it longer than a week, I attach Battery Tender the night before I plan on riding. I pop the seat and attach the charger directly to the battery. That by passes a problem with trying to use the 12V outlet if there isn't a good connection.

Best from Tucson
Bobn

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
The battery may have made a "temporary" recovery. Most will fail again soon. If that was the OEM original, I would recommend replacement. Most (other than the Odyssey) will not fully recover from a deep discharge. My Saturn SC2 would act very wierd when its battery was going south, dash would go crazy and lights would flash - then it would die.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trouble Glenn. Is the Dice unit connected to the battery or a switched power source? If you want to, stop by the house sometime and we can look for possible parasitic current drain sources.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My May 05 still has it´s original Exide battery, although it is always on a tender when bike is not on the road.

I have already purchased a new one just in case the old one shows signs of old age.

Re Odessy I agree that it is a good battery but they are a real pain to install as the connections are not the same as the originals.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All,

My apologies. I completely forgot to include the one piece of information that caused me to write the post to begin with.

My battery was installed only 20K miles ago, in March 2010. It is ony 11 months old. That is what I found so bizarre about it.

It is a Westco Gel battery.

Boatzo, I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it sometime late March or early April. I have to plan around my wife's schedule.

I think the fix is to cut the OEM power line from the CD Changer harness and add a switched power source. I think I will add it from my Aux fuse block, which uses a relay from my front seat heater.

My biggest fear is always cutting factory wires.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glenn,

Are you sure the battery is a Wesco GEL? I thought Wesco were AGMs which is much better than GEL. I think you have hit on the right course of action with installing the switch or on the other hand find a switched circuit to power the Dice so that when the ignition is off the power to the dice is off.

I know absolutely nothing about Dice, does it have a memory function that requires power all the time? Sometimes just disconnecting the memory power source can reduce draw.

You are welcome to stop by any time. :wave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts