BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the AMT website looking at tires for the LT. I saw Pirelli has a Night Dragon 160-70-17 V79 rear tire. But at $189.00 each. I don't see that being one many of us go for. But was surprised.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I was on the AMT website looking at tires for the LT. I saw Pirelli has a Night Dragon 160-70-17 V79 rear tire. But at $189.00 each. I don't see that being one many of us go for. But was surprised.
Well, current price on a quick check at Dennis Kirk for the BT020 is $160 ++ and the Met 888 is $194 so in the big picture, it is only $30 more or $5 less than two of our current options so for me, that makes it an option to add to the current limited selection which is good even if it is at the higher end in cost. I found it at Dennis Kirk and it is listed as a Bias tire so good for all LT years. Several other sites I checked didn't have the proper size listed. I have two BT20's to wear out before I need another. Who is going to be the first to give one a try and let us know how it performs? I know price varies by seller so don't get on here and say it is cheaper somewhere else. That isn't the point of this post and may I say, nice find James.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, current price on a quick check at Dennis Kirk for the BT020 is $160 ++ and the Met 888 is $194 so in the big picture, it is only $30 more or $5 less than two of our current options so for me, that makes it an option to add to the current limited selection which is good even if it is at the higher end in cost. I found it at Dennis Kirk and it is listed as a Bias tire so good for all LT years. Several other sites I checked didn't have the proper size listed. I have two BT20's to wear out before I need another. Who is going to be the first to give one a try and let us know how it performs? I know price varies by seller so don't get on here and say it is cheaper somewhere else. That isn't the point of this post and may I say, nice find James.
I found Dennis Kirk can't be beat on price. At least in my experience. They always match any price i find. As far as trying the Pirelli. I would.I have bias ply Pirellis on my Intruder and like them.I don't know if they make a 120-70-17 Or it'd have to be mated with something else. But. I think i might try a BT020 out back this time. Maybe??

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
I don’t think the load range itself is enough. I believe the sidewall needs also to say REINF for reinforced for the LT. Any idea if the Pirelli has that designation?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I don’t think the load range itself is enough. I believe the sidewall needs also to say REINF for reinforced for the LT. Any idea if the Pirelli has that designation?
Off the Denis Kirk site, it does mention carcass stiffness. That almost sounds like reinforced :)

" Stiffer carcass thanks to structure stiffening and high belt tension."

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Off the Denis Kirk site, it does mention carcass stiffness. That almost sounds like reinforced :)

" Stiffer carcass thanks to structure stiffening and high belt tension."
Not according to Pirelli. I checked both 2004 and newer as well as later models and got the same result. No tires suitable for the LT.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Not according to Pirelli. I checked both 2004 and newer as well as later models and got the same result. No tires suitable for the LT.
Bummer

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: Another 79V rear tire

Close but no cigar.
I looked on the Pirelli site.
There is a Night Dragon in the following size.
170/60 R 17 M/C 78V REINFTL

One load rating short of a winner. That is why it does not show in the tire selector as fitment to the LT. (I won't go into all the debate how this could be adequate depending on usage).
The tire shown on AMT site is "out of stock" probably because it doesn't exist.
I looked at the sizes offered for the Night Dragon and the newer Night Dragon GT. Chalk it up to a typo or website error. I suppose it could be possible that it will be a future offering from Pirelli and AMT jumped the gun putting it on their site. But today there is nothing available.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Re: Another 79V rear tire

Close but no cigar.
I looked on the Pirelli site.
There is a Night Dragon in the following size.
170/60 R 17 M/C 78V REINFTL

One load rating short of a winner. That is why it does not show in the tire selector as fitment to the LT. (I won't go into all the debate how this could be adequate depending on usage).
The tire shown on AMT site is "out of stock" probably because it doesn't exist.
I looked at the sizes offered for the Night Dragon and the newer Night Dragon GT. Chalk it up to a typo or website error. I suppose it could be possible that it will be a future offering from Pirelli and AMT jumped the gun putting it on their site. But today there is nothing available.
That will save me having to go into the debate about why it is inadequate no matter the usage. >:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts