BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at the local Auto Zone the other day to buy a set of big allen sockets (14mm) for changing the transmission oil. While I was there I picked up some Mobil syn oil for the transmission. It says 75/90 on the bottle. I noticed tonight in the owners manual they call for a straight 90. I do remember they didn't have any kind of straight 90 at the store. I think they had a 90/140 or something like that.

So can I use the 75/90, or just run by the BMW place to get a straight 90? I can take the 75/90 back, but that's not a big deal. Just wanna make sure I got the right stuff.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
CajunBass said:
I stopped at the local Auto Zone the other day to buy a set of big allen sockets (14mm) for changing the transmission oil. While I was there I picked up some Mobil syn oil for the transmission. It says 75/90 on the bottle. I noticed tonight in the owners manual they call for a straight 90. I do remember they didn't have any kind of straight 90 at the store. I think they had a 90/140 or something like that.

So can I use the 75/90, or just run by the BMW place to get a straight 90? I can take the 75/90 back, but that's not a big deal. Just wanna make sure I got the right stuff.
The synth gear lube I use is 75W/90 - been using it ever since Grif told me it tasted better than dino!! ;)

·
Banned
588 Posts
The number with the “W” (think winter) designates the oil’s properties at low temperatures. The other number characterizes properties at high temperatures. For instance, a multi-viscosity or multigrade oil such as 75W-90 meets the 75W criteria when cold and the 90 criteria once hot.

The manual also states to use a "Brand-name hypoid fear oil, API class GL 5" so make sure it also meets this. Some only meet GL 4. The data sheet for the Mobil product can be found at http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Synthetic_Gear_Lubricant_LS_75W-90.asp . The Mobil product should be fine for your application. You can also contact Mobil at Technical Information 1-800-662-4525 and ask them your questions.

Since we generally ride our motorcycles in warmer weather, the 90 is the more critical of the two. Many of us have used 75W90 synthetic gear oils in our transmissions and final drives for many years and for over 100,000 miles on our bikes.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Same here.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I was at work and couldn't check the bottle, but I knew if I posted here, I'd have the answer before I got home. I figured it was ok, but thought I'd make sure.

It's an API 5 class oil.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Would running the higher weight oil in the gear box (90W140) work also? I believe I read somewhere that it is recommended on the newer LT's. Anyone know about that? jrlakin

·
Registered
469 Posts
jrlakin said:
Would running the higher weight oil in the gear box (90W140) work also? I believe I read somewhere that it is recommended on the newer LT's. Anyone know about that? jrlakin
140 oil is *really* thick and I wouldn't put it in my bike. I did use it back in the 60's to refill some old shocks on my car when they were so worn that the regular hydraulic fliud wasn't any good. Stiffened the suspension up a treat for a while!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
jrlakin said:
The 90/140 synthetic oil is fine. I use it all the time in the tranny and rear end. I even bought some 90/140 bmw oil at the dealership. Thats all I'll use in the summer. Winter you could go either way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts