BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Need to do the maintenance soon and I was wandering about adding Speed bleeders to my '99 LT. But here's my question :

"Do I have to completely drain the system before installing the bleeder :confused: I mean, how may I put them if there's liquid on the caliper ? I guess that's not good for air bubble, is it :( "

There's a good deal on eBay for a 5pcs $38,5...

Thanks for any advice :)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
If I remember correctly, my 00 took two different speed bleeders.

I installed mine just before I changed the brake and clutch fluid. Any air that got into the system was removed during the fluid change.

The hardest part was removing the grub screws. Someone on this site suggested using vice grips on those little buggers. worked like charm. guess I'm too used to not chewing up stuff when I take things apart. Course, since I was going to chuck the grub screws, it didn't matter how ugly they looked when I got them out.
Bob 00LT

·
Registered
878 Posts
Fluid will drain continuously once you remove the bleed screw so there should be little chance of getting air into the system. You need to be fairly quick to install the speed bleeder before the reservoir empties completely. That would definitely let air into the system.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
If you remove the grub screw from the front caliper be sure to heat it first or you chance stripping the threads in the caliper.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am also going to remove the grub screw on my '99 when changing fluid this month.

Do you use recommend using teflon tape or anything on the bleeder threads when installing it?

Joe

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
No tape

The bleeder seals when it's fully engaged so you don't need any tape or stuff..
Just remember to use a heat gun on the Grub screw adapter on the front caliper. You heat it up and turn it a little then heat it up some more...repeat until the grub screw adapter is removed. then just install the speed bleeder and don't worry about loosing any fluid.. Just put a rag around the caliper to catch any fluid you might loose. It's not going to be flying out just a little drip or two..

You're going to then bleed the brakes anyway so don't worry about an air bubble.

You'll want to get 5 so that you can do the clutch too.... Use heat on the grub screw adapter on the clutch line as well or you stand a good chance of breaking it...It's not difficult when you use the heat...

After you get the speed bleeders installed. Changing the brake fluid and clutch fluid only takes 30 minutes or so... You'll save big bucks by doing it yourself...

Our 99's dont have the integrated brakes so the fluid change is really easy.

Just remember to be careful not to let any fluid get on the paint...

Use a syringe to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir. Then re-fill with fresh fluid. Set the top back on to prevent fluid from shooting out when you pump the brakes to force the new fluid through the system. I just used some aquarium tubing and a pop bottle with a hole drilled in the lid to catch the old fluid. When you see new clean fluid coming into the hose the you've done your job. refill the reservoir to the full mark and put the top back on.. That's all there is to it...

Good Luck..

John

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the info John. I've read about the heat gun so just need to set aside a little time to do the job.

That's one of the benefits of our '99s in my opinion - easy brake fluid changes.

My nearest dealer is a 3 hour ride away, so I'm trying to learn to do a lot of things myself.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts