BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have bout had it with the seat on my 99' K1200LTC. When I purchased the bike in 01, I got the stock seat and a Corbin with it. The corbin was hard as a rock. I rode it on several trips from Indiana to Key West and back and it never got any softer or fit my butt any better. I finally sold the Corbin on e-bay and rebuilt the stock seat with the super comfort layered foam per some of the guys instructions on this site. Well, that didn't work either. My butt still gets sore after a day or so of riding then there is just no way to get comfortable. Somebody gave me one of those sheepskin things and that doesn't help much. I tried a jell pad on my harley one time and threw it away too. The only thing that has helped at all is an air cushion that I picked up at Wallyworld one time. If I put it under my thighs, it gives me a more comfortable ride.

All that crap said, I am open to suggestions and would like to find something better. Anyone got one of the new BMW comfort seats that is extra? Anyone had luck with a custom-built seat by one of the professionals? Airhawk? I am a normal framed guy, 6' tall and 200 lbs and it shouldn't be this hard to find a comfortable seat for multi-day trips.

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I have a Rick Mayer custom saddle and it's the best seat I've ever had on a bike, bar none. I've had it on 2 LTs and have ridden it at least 40,000 miles and have no complaints. You can find a link to his site Here on the Accessories page.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have tried an Airhawk at all inflations, and the sheep skin, and neither did much good for me. Problem I think, is my anatomy, no padding on the old backside. About ready to go with the custom seat also. Although I ride in the 600 mile range when traveling, everything after the first day is pretty brutal. If there was anyone halfway close so I could do a ride in appt, I would already have done it on the custom seat.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Feel your pain.
I have a bad tail bone and all saddles so far irritate it.

From my experience on my RT-
1. Corbin is like sitting on a board.
2. Russell is good if it fits-mine didn't work due to the seams.
3. Rick Meyer is a good option for tender butts as he uses thermo foam as the top layers.
4. Rocky Meyer will be my next option. Stiffer than all but the Corbin. NO Seams to mess with the back of the legs. Fewer pressure points due to his shape. I'll have him divit the area under my tail bone to relieve pressure there.
5. Haven't tried the Kontour. Many swear by it. I sat on one for 30 minutes, but that's not long enough. I think he too uses a thermo foam next to your butt.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Seats ( Saddles)

I still have a problem calling a motorcycle seat a saddle; rode horses too many years I guess.
Guys I found a company in Wyoming, that makes a seat out of a soft Saddle leather and a foam combination that normally is used for Hospital patients that are bed ridden for long periods of time. The seat is the best I have ever seen or sat on, it just seems to conform to your ass no matter what the shape.

·
Registered
46 Posts
more details

Kenny - got any more info on the guys in Wyoming? Name, website, phone, cost?

Thanks - jim

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wyoming Seats

Jim sorry guy but I will have to get that info for you later today.
These people live in a little town near Sheridan Wy called Kaycee, but I do not have the details. It's a family operation I do at least know that.
They have built these seats for the past couple years.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Airhawk to the rescue

I vote for the airhawk. One reason I like it is it puts me a little higher in the saddle, so my knees are not bent so much. My new (to me) 05 had a kontour on it. Did 300 miles and my butt was sore, (I wanted the heat as it was 42F) so I put the air hawk on and did another 700 miles. Now I have old wider seat that I did nearly 100,000 on with the air hawk. the 05 is too narrow for me.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Kontour Seat

You may want to try a Kontour seat. I purchased a OEM seat from another board member and sent it over to Ron Miller of KonTour and had the seat redone. When return it was a little firmer than anticipated, but now feels great on those long ride days. Just completed 2200 miles last week in the Texas Hill Country,

Just a suggestion.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Ray,

Just call Rocky Mayer and schedule a ride-in appointment. He'll take good care of you.

I've done 1,000 and 1,500 mile days on mine and several consecutive 700-900 mile days without problems. I prefer his seat for the reasons mentioned by David below, plus he was close enough that I could meet with him and get mine done just right.

Any of the top motorcycle seat guys as listed in this thread or our Accessories page will do an excellent job, though it is better to ride-in if you can. They can be a bit pricey, but you've surely already spent a ton of money on failed experiments.

Also be aware that what you're wearing makes a huge difference. On the way back from CCR, I was getting sore spots and figured I'd have to go back to Rocky for an adjustment. Then I realized I was using a new pair of mesh riding pants, and sure enough, the pants had seams right where I was getting sore. I've had no more problems since I figured that out.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Hey Jim:

It sounds like you need a KonTour PLUS Specification seat, instead of the STANDARD Specification you currently have.

We can also bump you up and inch or more at the same time to keep those knees happy.

If you want to pay shipping both ways we'll upgrade it to the plus specification - even though you are not the original owner and not covered under warranty.

And here's the best part: NO CHARGE! ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ron,

Can't complain with that deal, but it is the narrow seat, which I don't like. The back is not as high as my old one. Are the new seats with a lower back (vertical part)? Anyone wanting a seat should look at the kontour with service to please like a free alteration!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
"but it is the narrow seat, which I don't like."

Ah, yeah, not much can be done about that. Your only option would be to get a 99-04 seat which has what you need and start over again from scratch. The 05 lumbar bolster is also thicker which pushes you farther forward. It was pretty sneaky of BMW to alter the design of the seat so that potential customers could flat foot it easier in the showroom! (But then later find out it was impossible to get comfy on - especially bigger guys.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The original seat on my 05 was probally the most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat on. It felt like I was sitting on a 4x4 with a little foam for padding. Yesterday I did a ride-in at Russell Day Long Saddles. It took about eight hours to build the most comfortable seat I've ever sat on (they loaned me another seat while they built mine so I could cruise some of the great roads in No. California). Rode home from Shasta City to Reno (about250 miles) and didn't have one Hot spot or pain. What a seat!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you go to the Corbin factory in Hollister, CA they will assign a "seat wizard" to custom fit the seat to your butt. You need an appointment. I have never done the LT but I spent many hours at the factory while they built a custom V-Max seat for me and my wife. We were both fit to our exact needs and requests. It was carve, shape, glue, fit and test ride for hours. After the fitting, we got to chose the fabric and design. When done, the seat was awsome. It did not look anything like a stock seat and it was very comfortable. Cost? Same as a off the shelf seat. ( I tipped the wizard nicely)

Oh, they even gave us a free meal at their cafe.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Try a seat from Ron Miller

I have a seat from Ron. At first until I got it broken it was a little hard. But now after break in it's one of the best seats that I have ever set my butt on. About a month ago, I rode for 6 straight days in the TX Hill Country averaging about 300 miles a day without any problems. Another benefit, is the air circulation up from under the seat. My seat is not heated because that's the way I wanted it. I purhcased a non-heated seat from a member and sent it to Ron to build a seat for me. I still have my heated OEM seat and a heated Corbin as well. I know several others on this board that have had Ron build a seat for them and they all enjoy them.

Just my 2 cents worth...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts