BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding the Ortega Highway last week with my '00 LT with 47K and the blasted muffler became seperated from the cat. Is this normal? BMW says you have to buy a complete exhaust at $1311 for parts. I know there are aftermarket ones for about $800. My thoughts are how many more of these type of things am I going to have to pay for as I get a few more miles... should I just trade it in and buy a new bike?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rare but happens. Easily welded back together.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I know that several have successfully welded the muffler to fix this problem. Others have replaced it with a Remus. If neither of these sound tempting I'll send you my old exhaust for shipping and a donation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rare but happens

Wow, it is cool that it can be rewelded but is this just the first thing to go bad wrong or just a casual it happens....

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
pitvipersnake said:
Wow, it is cool that it can be rewelded but is this just the first thing to go bad wrong or just a casual it happens....
No, this is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg...!:eek:
Next your frame will bend, and your wheels turn into big expensive ovals...:mad:
Then your wife will leave you because you spend more at the BMW shop than you would shopping for her... Poor soul you!!! :(
Fortunately before all these dreadful things happen you came to this site where our trained technicians will dispense all the necessary advice for free.:p The classified ads will draw you to purchase the right gear from other members who upgraded to something even "more better" (like a 7-pack of beer).:beer:
Life will be good again, your wife will look better wearing the right protective gear, and your wallet will only be used to buy the "necessary" farkles for your mount (I am talking about your bike here...!;) ).
You are one lucky man, you picked the LT, now make sure to keep it...! :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
pitvipersnake said:
I was riding the Ortega Highway last week with my '00 LT with 47K and the blasted muffler became seperated from the cat. Is this normal? BMW says you have to buy a complete exhaust at $1311 for parts. I know there are aftermarket ones for about $800. My thoughts are how many more of these type of things am I going to have to pay for as I get a few more miles... should I just trade it in and buy a new bike?

As others have said, EASY reweld (after removal of course, the hardest part is getting the O2 sensor unplugged and screwed out). I welded mine myself, as I had access to a TIG welder. The re-weld was much better than factory, if I do say so myself. :D

It is stainless steel, and welds very nicely. Any good TIG welder can do it, should not cost much if you find a good shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed!

Well I took all of your advice and tried to have it welded, but I went one better, I left it on the bike took the chrome strip and passenger footrest off, took it down and had it welded. Worst thing was putting the pretty little chrome strip back on.
Total cost $45 weld, $10 tip for getting to it so fast and still on the bike.
Thanks again guys, now I hope the rearend doesnt decide to give out next, as I dont think that will be so easy!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The bright side...

pitvipersnake said:
...now I hope the rearend doesnt decide to give out next, as I dont think that will be so easy!
Actually...the job isn't that much harder. It just costs more. :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
pitvipersnake said:
Well I took all of your advice and tried to have it welded, but I went one better, I left it on the bike took the chrome strip and passenger footrest off, took it down and had it welded. Worst thing was putting the pretty little chrome strip back on.
Total cost $45 weld, $10 tip for getting to it so fast and still on the bike.
Thanks again guys, now I hope the rearend doesnt decide to give out next, as I dont think that will be so easy!
Just a word of caution about doing any welding on the bike or anything else that has a ton of electronics on it , disconnect the battery ...both sides at the very least, wouldn't hurt to unplug the Motronic brain ether.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
messenger13 said:
Actually...the job isn't that much harder. It just costs more. :D
That is absolutely correct! It is WAY to easy to fry electronics on a vehicle by welding on it! I you watched the "Long Way Round" series, you see just that. Welding on the GS frame fried electronics.

I would not recommend any welding on a modern motorcycle, unless ALL electronic modules were completely disconnected, even then if the welding is close enough to a module to create strong enough EMF fields, electronics can be damaged.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I got a stock muffler I will give ya. Pay the shipping and feed me and it is yours. :)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Heck, less than 500.00 you could have your own tig welder....and fix your bike yourself and have a new welder to boot....Actually Harbor Freight has them for 199.00
( you'd still need to get the gas setup...)

That's what I'd do........Any excuse to buy a new tool !!!!

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts