BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen several threads on the removal of the side farings, and have tried the search.....maybe I'm just not phrasing it right.

I want to do change out my GPS and add a radar detector but I need to get into the plastic piece that's the brow above the speedometer/tach and the wind shield. In short I guess I need to get behind the speedometer.

Got a bracket there that will work nicely.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
1. Take off the windscreen
2. Take out the light light cover above the speedo
3. Take off the cover above the speedo - 4 torx screws on edge, 2 torx screws on sides behind windscreen arms, 1 torx screw inside behind the light cover above speedo.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
FrankNitti said:
Have seen several threads on the removal of the side farings, and have tried the search.....maybe I'm just not phrasing it right.

I want to do change out my GPS and add a radar detector but I need to get into the plastic piece that's the brow above the speedometer/tach and the wind shield. In short I guess I need to get behind the speedometer.

Got a bracket there that will work nicely.

Any help is appreciated
Click here for some pics and maybe references to other threads also. Also click here for additional info. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick replys....

just did a little pulling on the chrome plastic pieces on the windshield....are theses things gonna break?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might invest in a Clymer's manual.

They could break, but pry from the sides, not top and bottom and they shouldn't. kind of pull them to the side and pry for best results... if that makes sense

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Pet from the thin side not the thick side. If you port from the thick side you will likely break off the holding tabs.

you have to REALLY pet hard with your fingers to pop them loose.

Loren

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Pet from the thin side not the thick side. If you port from the thick side you will likely break off the holding tabs.

you have to REALLY pet hard with your fingers to pop them loose.

Loren
Pet? Port? never heard these terms w/ this usage. :confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
The scourge of "auto-correct" I'll bet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts