BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got black beauty back from the dealer in Grand Rapids after the 66K service. Yesterday I noticed a puddle of oil on the floor. Evidence of oil coming out of the vent on top of the final drive.

This happened before, with great concern and some direction from you all I checked everything out and the level of fluid was fine. I still drained it, checked it out and refilled it.

WTH??? it seems that twice in a row they have put too much fluid in there :confused:

Now I'm concerned again, I'm getting ready for a two week trip to Colorado, this is frustrating!!!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Yep, vent burps are frustrating - however, the two occasions when ole Toad burped, I attributed neither one to overfilling. I do my own service back there. I felt one instance wuz the result of a fresh change followed by a run to the mountains of AR. Had been told by a trusted mechanic that a situation like that (a change in ambient temps and altitude *sometimes* results in a burp). The other incidence was my failure to allow enough drain time of the old lube.
David, were it me I would warm up the FD with a short ride; put bike on CS and remove fill plug and see if lube level no higher than the lower thread mark. OR, drain lube into a measuring vessel and see if amount matches book volume. Then refill and your call on new lube versus just short-run lube. And have a worry free trip. ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine had a minor burp after being exceptionally careful to get it all right (fill to only just reaching the bottom of threads in the fill hole). I guess it just sometimes happens.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right, the BMW dealership surely knows what they are doing, maybe just coincidental that the last time it happened before this was shortly after a service.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
I just hope they are not spinning the wheel as they add fluid, that is a sure way to overfill.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just hope they are not spinning the wheel as they add fluid, that is a sure way to overfill.
John, so to clarify, when filling the FD, it is NOT recommended to spin the wheel?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
John, so to clarify, when filling the FD, it is NOT recommended to spin the wheel?

Thanks.
Not John, but I know the answer to this one. Definitely DO NOT spin the wheel when filling the final drive. The surface tension of the gear lube will cause a significant amount of lube to be "carried aloft" on the crown gear, bearing, etc. It takes a while for all that lube to drain back down, so when you are measuring the fill (fill to the bottom of the threads of the filler hole) you will end up over filling by a surprising amount.

There are old threads on this very subject. More than one of us has made that mistake.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Thanks Curtis, I could not have said it better.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Not John, but I know the answer to this one. Definitely DO NOT spin the wheel when filling the final drive. The surface tension of the gear lube will cause a significant amount of lube to be "carried aloft" on the crown gear, bearing, etc. It takes a while for all that lube to drain back down, so when you are measuring the fill (fill to the bottom of the threads of the filler hole) you will end up over filling by a surprising amount.

There are old threads on this very subject. More than one of us has made that mistake.
I get that, but when I do a FD oil change I add a measured amount of gear oil instead of eyeballing it through the fill opening. So... if one is measuring the amount of oil being added, is there any advantage/disadvantage to spinning the wheel while adding the correct amount of oil?

Or, is adding it without measuring the better way to go?

·
Registered
334 Posts

Thanks Charlie and John for the response.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Disregard the refill amount other than to ensure you have about 250 mls on hand in a bottle. Drain the FD, inspect the plug, clean off the magnet, re-install and tighten the plug using your favourite method of sealing it. Fill to the lower thread when viewed through the filler plug hole. Do not overfill. Do not turn the wheel. Re-install the filler plug using you favoutite sealing system. Done. Don't even worry about measuring the amount that came out, it's irrelevant in the scheme of things. HTH

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
using your favourite method of sealing it. Re-install the filler plug using you favoutite sealing system.

What do you mean by this? I've changed fluids many times in my 60,000 plus miles riding on my LT and used nothing but the plugs that came with it with no problems.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Some buy new crush washers each time they open an oil compartment, I prefer to re-use the same crush washer and apply Loctite 567 Teflon thread sealant to the threads of the plug. Completely oil resistant and requires less torque to seal, hence less force required to open next time and none of the "cracking" we sometimes experience when the plug releases. The thread sealant is not a strong locking compound, rather it causes just a small amount of extra friction when undoing, works a treat. Clean off with a wire brush and you're ready to re-apply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts