BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the threads and can not find an answer to the question of oil level.

Is the oil checked cold? bike level on the center stand? should it be to the middle of the site glass?

Forgive the stupidity but every other bike I have owned had a dipstick for the oil level.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Spirit_Rider said:
I have searched the threads and can not find an answer to the question of oil level.

Is the oil checked cold? bike level on the center stand? should it be to the middle of the site glass?

Forgive the stupidity but every other bike I have owned had a dipstick for the oil level.
I usually never get involved in an oil thread, unless the dementia is really rawking that day. BUT, how can I not answer a person who's license plate is kng prv?

If the bike is on the center stand, the oil level will be at the top of the glass.

On the side stand it will be in the center.

It really doesn't matter hot or cold, but if hot, let it sit for a few to let the oil filter down.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Spirit_Rider said:
Thanks, I know it sounded like dumb stuff to ask but what the heck. If you dont know ask.
And to add to what Grif mentioned as full readings,

the minimums are center of sight glass on center stand and bottom of sight glass on side stand.

·
Registered
158 Posts
On the 2007 LT the owners manual says engine at operating temperature, on the center stand and the level is Max - top of sight glass, Min - Bottom of sight glass. Allow 5 miniutes after stopping the engine and placing the bike on the center stand for the oil to drain back.

Ken

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kriach said:
On the 2007 LT the owners manual says engine at operating temperature, on the center stand and the level is Max - top of sight glass, Min - Bottom of sight glass. Allow 5 miniutes after stopping the engine and placing the bike on the center stand for the oil to drain back.

Ken
Thanks all,
I knew you guys would have the information!!!

I am still working on making the bike comfortable to ride, on my recent trip after ~100 miles my knees would start to hurt. I have lowered floor boards on the way and I am looking for cruise pegs. Right now I am not sure which ones to go with though.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
kriach said:

Ken
You know, I think it does say that. But if I remember correctly, it also says the bottom is the minimum on the side stand as well. Since on the side stand and on the center stand are certainly 2 different readings, I believe a misprint is in order. There is usually, on level ground, a half bubble difference between center and side stand.

If one ran the level at the bottom of the sight glass in all cases, they may risk not knowing how much oil is really in the sump.

Edit On - Geez - even the oil level has to be ambigous:) Got me doubting things so rechecked my manual, Clymer, and BMW CD manual. All agree bottom of the glass on centerstand. My owners manual does say, bottom of glass on both stands, what's up with that? The Clymer goes so far as to state, "early LT's had a reference for checking on the side stand, but we will only consider the centerstand here."

So I stand corrected as, let it ride until the bottom of the glass. I must have read the owners manual once and got it in my mind that the half bubble difference was the way to go regardless of the ambiguity. After many oil changes, the half bubble rule does apply center to side stand on level surface.

So the newer owners manuals just leave out the side stand check, huh?

No wonder you had to ask:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Spirit_Rider said:
I am still working on making the bike comfortable to ride, on my recent trip after ~100 miles my knees would start to hurt. I have lowered floor boards on the way and I am looking for cruise pegs. Right now I am not sure which ones to go with though.
Hi!

My knees hurt too at first, and I found myself shifting my feet around the footpegs every 20 minutes or so for probably the first 3-4k miles of riding. Since then, my knees have never bothered me, and I rarely change foot position on the pegs at all. YMMV, but to anyone new to the bike, the riding position may take some time to get used to depending on what style of bike you're coming from. Similar experience with the seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts