BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
No dampener on the RT.

Dampeners are not really there for other bike to provide stiffness, but to "dampen" head shake and oscillations at high speed.

I think you will get used to it and it will not be an issue.

All you need is more miles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't overlook the more simple possibilities. The steering feel can be affected by tire condition, compound and pressure. I would start with checking the pressure...too much and it will feel light/loose.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Well, Most bikes have bearings that the front end turns on.. They can be too loose..

Are you hearing any banging when you go over a rough patch of road ?

Just put it on the center stand, have somebody hold down the back end of the bike and try to shake the front end around a little... As long as it's not moving around then you're probably fine... My front end on my R1100RT is light as a feather at slow speeds...

John

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I checked the front end for being loose and it seemed fine, no play. I guess I'll get used to the new handling soon. I often ride back gravel roads looking for mushroom possibilities, you know it is morel season. Once at 30 or better it is better than my r1150r, but not at low speeds. I sort of treat this as a GS, but I want the coverage of the RT! Can't have it all.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What bike did you come off of to the RT? Compared to the RT, many bikes have steering inputs that feel like driving a truck. We need to know what you are comparing the RT with.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
If memory serves... Tire pressure is 42psi Rear and 36 Front.

What color is the bike... it may make a difference.

·
Registered
955 Posts
hopz said:

What color is the bike... it may make a difference.
Color? Hopz is going into troll mode? We all know color only affects handling when you are using synthetic oil, a Cee Bailey shield AND a lithium battery.

:feedtroll

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
hopz said:
The OM for the 2010RT does state to use 32/36 psi. That does seem a little low but is what's called out in the manual. I use more than that in mine. I think that the 36/42 is a better pressure in general depending on your weight and what load yo carry. I am also concerned that 32 psi in the front is a bit of a risk to the rim should I happen to hit a pot hole!

Regards,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts