BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow LT owners. I finally got it. I've been looking for a good used LT for quite sometime. It's hard to find what you want when your on a budget.

I did find a good used 2000 LT on the east coast and drove it back to Kansas City in a day and 1/2. :eek: ouch.

I learned a lot about the machine and was very pleased overall with the bike considering the "just get it home" nature of the ride. I do have some questions for the experienced from the inexperienced.

First off what is the best cure for the stock seat? Very uncomfortable for the long haul. I'm 5'9" and about 165. 32" inseam. Is Corbin the only mfg that makes a good aftermarket seat?

Second, is there anyway to put hiway pegs on the LT without ruining the looks?

Third, the bike was dropped on the right side and it scuffed up the plastic guards on the lower faring. Sorry I don't know the exact name for the part but I do need to get it replaced. What is the best internet source for this and other OEM K1200LT parts?

Thanks! John

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Payneman said:
Hello fellow LT owners. I finally got it. I've been looking for a good used LT for quite sometime. It's hard to find what you want when your on a budget.

I did find a good used 2000 LT on the east coast and drove it back to Kansas City in a day and 1/2. :eek: ouch.

I learned a lot about the machine and was very pleased overall with the bike considering the "just get it home" nature of the ride. I do have some questions for the experienced from the inexperienced.

First off what is the best cure for the stock seat? Very uncomfortable for the long haul. I'm 5'9" and about 165. 32" inseam. Is Corbin the only mfg that makes a good aftermarket seat?

Third, the bike was dropped on the right side and it scuffed up the plastic guards on the lower faring. Sorry I don't know the exact name for the part but I do need to get it replaced. What is the best internet source for this and other OEM K1200LT parts?

Thanks! John
There are a few good custome seat makers out there like the Rick Mayer or his brother Rocky. Ride in appointments are best, but you would have to take a ride to California. Good excuse for a trip I guess.

The J-Pegs are great hiway pegs and fold away unseen when not in use.
www.motogear4you.com

The cover for the tip over wing is available at any BMW Dealer. On line at Bob's or A&S.

Welcome to the club:)

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
John welcome and congratulations on your new toy
Payneman said:

Seach the site and you will find as much if not more information about the whole seat and nothing but the seat. I am for sure in the minority and find the stock seat just fine.

Once again search the site and also check out the vendors.

I would wait to replace the wings because it may happen again :mad: Thanks! John

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have found that on the last three BMW's That I have owned that the Sheepskin helps as much as an $$$ custom seat. It does add to the height though.
http://www.alaskaleather.com/

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
John,

Welcome to the LT crowd.

Odd that you are from Blue Springs as that is where I found my used '03 LT. It was on the HD lot there.

We might cross paths one of these days as I frequent Engles pretty regular just to make sure they know me. LOL
In fact I expect I'll ride down one day next week. (100 miles or so). As I want them to check my FD oil. The oil was as black as coal when I changed it the first 3000 miles after a rebuild. Now 1500 miles later I want them to have a look see.

By the way, I find my OEM seat to fit my butt OK. If I had a little longer inseam, I'd use the afore mentioned sheepskin!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Vern,

I wish I would have found mine in K.C.! I'm going to Engal's for an inspection on Saturday and to pick up a few parts for the LT. I rented an Ultra at Gails HD for a 4 day weekend and just didn't like the bike. I always wanted a Harley until I rode one!

I had two Gold Wings (for touring) prior to the LT and the Harley just shook my wife and too much. I admit the foot boards and the 6th gear was nice on the Ultra.

I know right where King City is. I used to have property in St. Joe. Take care and keep in touch!

John

·
Registered
860 Posts
Payneman said:

Thanks! John
At the risk of starting another flame throwing nightmare, I'd recommend a custom seat from Rick Mayer.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16160

There may be others that would take issue, but I like what he's done on my '06 and so does my tail gunner.

re: hiway pegs

What Ted said... the J-pegs XL are great. I had no trouble installing them and the group I ride with wouldn't recognize me if I didn't have a foot in the stirrup on a ride. Take your time, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and it all comes out great. If you have a Dremel tool, you're in the pink.

As to the damage??? Find a good airbrush artist, have him smooth it down and then get yer mom's name put on the bag. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gglove. I'm sure I'll get a lot of good information here.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Payneman said:
Hi Vern,

I wish I would have found mine in K.C.! I'm going to Engal's for an inspection on Saturday and to pick up a few parts for the LT. I rented an Ultra at Gails HD for a 4 day weekend and just didn't like the bike. I always wanted a Harley until I rode one!

I had two Gold Wings (for touring) prior to the LT and the Harley just shook my wife and too much. I admit the foot boards and the 6th gear was nice on the Ultra.

I know right where King City is. I used to have property in St. Joe. Take care and keep in touch!

John
Hey John,
If saturday is a good riding day, I might just show up at Engles too.

Be safe!

Vern

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Welcome to the asylum!

An option to the J-pegs, try the Highway Ottomans, can be found on this site in Vendors. I had both and did not use the J-pegs, so I removed the pegs and use the Ottomans. You can check with Tony at LTPARTS.com, also a vendor here, if he has any available.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
I've also found the Highway Ottomans to be quite comfortable on the LT. Too bad they don't fit my new bike.

Guess I should just put them in the Classifieds forum so someone else can enjoy them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts