BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the last "name that photo" thread was so fun, and since I have some more unidentified parts laying around, I thought I'd challenge the masses again with another photo. These fasteners were all sitting together on a table behind the rear of the bike, which has had the rear swingarm removed and the canisterectomy performed while doing a clutch replacement. Someone (hopefully not me :eek: ) forgot to bag & tag these, but at least they were grouped together and not scattered all over the floor (unless, of course, this is an incomplete set, and one or more fasteners is scattered about the floor!)

I haven't had the chance to pore over the FM or the parts fiche yet, so I may be posting a no-brainer.

Who knows, if this is as fun as the last one, maybe I'll just start posting random macro shots of my bike (hmmm, this could get interesting, maybe an occasional shot from a Harley to throw off the gurus ;) )

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
The Large ones are the bolts that hold the trunk down,or the cover beneath it. Small ones are license plate screws.

Dan Martin

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
Since the last "name that photo" thread was so fun, and since I have some more unidentified parts laying around, I thought I'd challenge the masses again with another photo. These fasteners were all sitting together on a table behind the rear of the bike, which has had the rear swingarm removed and the canisterectomy performed while doing a clutch replacement. Someone (hopefully not me :eek: ) forgot to bag & tag these, but at least they were grouped together and not scattered all over the floor (unless, of course, this is an incomplete set, and one or more fasteners is scattered about the floor!)

I haven't had the chance to pore over the FM or the parts fiche yet, so I may be posting a no-brainer.

Who knows, if this is as fun as the last one, maybe I'll just start posting random macro shots of my bike (hmmm, this could get interesting, maybe an occasional shot from a Harley to throw off the gurus ;) )

Macro masochist! :histerica :mad: :D

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Not sure about the shorties, butt the longies may be the four that bolt down the bottom of the top trunk to the frame attachment points. These bolts are only seen when the bottom case liner is removed. I can't find mine at the moment (I am running the Ft. Worth rack) to check, butt betcha somebody will jump in here with the answer, Dave. A thought about the shorties - they may be part of the retaining strap for the top trunk lid. Good luck.

Schweintechnik said:

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna' say the same thing, but, um, uh, um, being that I am such a tech genius too...uh, I'd have to, uh, taste the bolts to be sure. Yeah, that's it.

(and -1 to the first goof who posts a flame response because I used "taste" and "bolt" in the same sentence!)

P

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
DanMartin said:
The Large ones are the bolts that hold the trunk down,or the cover beneath it. Small ones are license plate screws.

Dan Martin
I think you nailed it on the larger bolts (trunk), but I think the smaller bolts are for the rear mud flap (to be removed to allow the rear wheel to come off).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zotter said:
Screw the bolts
How much for that ruler??? :cool: :cool:
Incra makes a bunch of varieties of these, I have a few flavors for woodworking. Can't remember where I got 'em, but you can see some here or here.

Incra is for the Geek Woodworker. :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dick said:
Not sure about the shorties, butt the longies may be the four that bolt down the bottom of the top trunk to the frame attachment points. These bolts are only seen when the bottom case liner is removed. I can't find mine at the moment (I am running the Ft. Worth rack) to check, butt betcha somebody will jump in here with the answer, Dave. A thought about the shorties - they may be part of the retaining strap for the top trunk lid. Good luck.
Dick, I like your thought about the strap...those washers are plastic, by the way. I think the trunk mount is close, but I thought the lid under the trunk takes a very similar fastener (top case=38mm long, lid=22mm on realoem.com), and these appear to be less than 1" long, which would suggest they're for the lid.

I'll be trying all this out when I get home!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey - Never mind the bolts where did you get that ruler ? I like the idea of the marking holes ! Supplier please?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'm think'n

4 large ones are to the black plastic cover under the trunk case and the short ones are at the Lt & Rt tips of said cover. ;)

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Dick said:
The shorties hold that same cover on as well - at the front corners, on the sides.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's an Incra ruler

ndmunro said:
Hey - Never mind the bolts where did you get that ruler ? I like the idea of the marking holes ! Supplier please?
See my post to Zotter above.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
Incra makes a bunch of varieties of these, I have a few flavors for woodworking. Can't remember where I got 'em, but you can see some here or here.

Incra is for the Geek Woodworker. :D
Well, I hope you are satisfied with yourself now. Fancy posting stuff like that. Do you realise how fragile my credit card is and that now it is depleted further? Still it will come in handy soon to measure how far we can travel on on pound Sterling's worth of petrol soon. :rotf:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
D.Kinsey said:
4 large ones are to the black plastic cover under the trunk case and the short ones are at the Lt & Rt tips of said cover. ;)
DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!! :D

Mr. Kinsey wins the prize!

Of course, if Mr. Kinsey is not present or is subsequently disqualified pending the outcome of his background check, Randy came in a close second with the same answer 35 minutes later ;)

And now, The Rest of The Story: The goofball who removed those fasteners and failed to bag & tag them was... ME! :eek:

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
Randy came in a close second with the same answer 35 minutes later ;)
I opened the reply before you had one, but I had to find, crop and upload the picture between 15 interruptions at the office :(

Pretty clear example just how difficult it is to follow through with anything at the office.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Randy said:
I opened the reply before you had one, but I had to find, crop and upload the picture between 15 interruptions at the office :(

Pretty clear example just how difficult it is to follow through with anything at the office.
Amen to that!

FYI, you might be able to save a step or two by using the Snapshot tool within Adobe Acrobat Reader - it's one of the Select & Zoom tools on the menu, or you can add it to the toolbar:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts