BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic around my right mirror broke off where the clips is attached. Now the clip is loose. Thank God I tethered the mirror. Can I just bolt these puppies on so they are fastened securely? If anyone has done this please send a pic so I can see what you did. Thanks

·
Registered
888 Posts
This is a very common problem. Plastic gets brittle and breaks. I don't know of any way you could bolt them on and have them look good. I bought some used mirrors but they were about the same age as mine and didn't last long before they also broke. I bought new ones and they go on much easier and hopefully will last a while. The chrome mirror base is about $130 at the dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you are talking aboout the backing where the clips are. I used liquis welder for plastic. Let it sit overnite and good as new. Try to find a small clamp to hold the 2 pieces together while it dries.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think if you search the Hall of Wisdom you will find a fix
using 1/4 -20 nylon bolts.

I did it a few years ago and haven't thought about it except
when servicing.

If you do your own maintenance it's not a problem, if you
don't be sure to tell them they are bolted on.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Mine broke and I found some plastic and epoxed it over the ends of the clips. I also built up the epoxy by putting bakeing soada on the wet epoxy and blowing off the excess 2 or 3 times. They have been working fine for over 2 years and 30K miles. Jim

·
Registered
415 Posts
I cut small pieces of plastic from the battery cover of an old TV control, glued them over the cracked areas with J B Weld. That seems to have solved the problem for now.

Ron

·
Registered
216 Posts
Jriverside said:
Mine broke and I found some plastic and epoxed it over the ends of the clips. I also built up the epoxy by putting bakeing soada on the wet epoxy and blowing off the excess 2 or 3 times. They have been working fine for over 2 years and 30K miles. Jim
Is that really the way to spell Baking Soda. hmmmm!

Cheers, Bill
05 K1200LT

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a black sheet metal screw and screwed her down tight. Problem solved and you can't see the screw since it is hidden in the vent. I still tethered the mirror prior to fastening.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
BTW, Chicago BMW sells the part you need for $82.00.
Best prices on parts I've seen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts