BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma: got my '00 LT-C out of the shop on Thurs (temp gauge was reading hot; turned out to be inaccurate). Rode from Las Vegas to Phoenix on Fri. Had weak battery about 1hr 1/2 N. of PHX (bike jumped; no problem). Got to destination bike started several times. Installed new battery today (all connections good-n-snug); only accessory (no alarm as well)is the battery tender pigtail. Tried to start it...plenty of juice, all electricals working properly, could hear the fuel system pressurizing...pressed starter (with the clutch squeezed of course)...nothing.

Symptoms: a couple of times since Friday, it would only start on the sidestand either in gear or out (this was sporadic and not a regular occurence). A couple of times had to lean it a bit on the side stand to get it to start. I can tell when it won't start when the headlight won't come on. Today when it didn't start i stored it on the sidestand. I rotated the bike to the right to get it out of the wy of the car...headlight can on and it started. Tried to recreate the condition by slightly pressing the bike to the right while squeezing the clutch and pressing the starter. This worked about 4 times. Then I found it would start by pressing the down on left side of the pillion seat while squeezing the clutch and pressing the starter. This worked about 4 times and now it doesn't. It's to the point where the headlight will come on but will not start when going through the starting sequence.

I'm pretty sure it's not the clutch interrupt or the reverse I thought it may be the side-stand switch until I pressed on the left side of the pillion seat and it started.

Thoughts?????

And Happy Birthday America

·
Registered
929 Posts
Niguel,

It sounds like a loose bolt--on your starter. It is known as the LOAD SHED RELAY. When this bolt is loose it can make your headlight flicker as it loses ground and it will not start, nor will the headlight come on with the key. Everything else is normal.

It is a bear to get at...don't ask me how I know...:brick: check out the attached picture.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sorry about that...my brain shed relay was apparently loose.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will give this a try.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
a couple of times since Friday, it would only start on the sidestand either in gear or out (this was sporadic and not a regular occurence). A couple of times had to lean it a bit on the side stand to get it to start.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but this statement caused me to jump straight to the side stand interupt switch. Might take a look there if the other suggestions don't pan out.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
My money is with Wade on this one based on the comment, "my head light was not on so I knew it would not start".. The fact that the headlight did not come on is indicative of the load shed relay not getting a good ground though the starter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late response; had computer issues as well. I'm starting to feel like Schleprock! Seriously though all comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dudes and dudettes turns out it was a loose starter bolt when the clutch was installed two weeks ago. Good call on the starter diagnosis and I gotta talk to my regular mechanic!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Vegas9mm said:
Dudes and dudettes turns out it was a loose starter bolt when the clutch was installed two weeks ago. Good call on the starter diagnosis and I gotta talk to my regular mechanic!
Glad to here it Niguel! It's an easy fix--just not easy to get at...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually misspoke. Let me go verbatim from the work order: missing starter bolt and ground strap loose. Apologies for the inaccurate report. Still the diagnosis was pretty spot-on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts