BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

So the 2005 LT went home to someone else. It was a good deal, but apparently not meant to be.

Now looking at a 2000 LT Icon with 29K miles. Looks to be in decent shape...haven't had the chance to extensively poke and prod.

Dealer is at NADA average book ($7,000) plus tax and tags.

All of the standard "get the bike checked over" issues aside, any thoughts on the deal?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looks like a good price...but without seeing, touching ,and driving it who really knows....You say this selling from a dealer? does he have the service records from it? will they do your 30k service before the purchase it?

Like i said the price sounds good and it does not have alot of miles....but that only tells a small part of the story.....dig in with both hands and get all the information you can get before you make a decision....good Luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's a decent price for this time of year. If you wait a little, like december, you could get it a little cheaper.

Also, with taxes, some states will charge you taxes based on the bill of sale, not the book value. On my bill of sale I put $200, so I made almost no taxes. Check w your DMV to see how they tax you, if thats the case don't register the bike from the dealer.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Depending on condition, sounds like a deal. I've put 18k on my '99 since Feb 07 and have not had 1, single, solitary problem (or even two or several, for that matter). Do your own maintenance to save $$$$$$, otherwise, maintenance is expensive.

I'd say, "Buy." If you want to get a salvaged bike and title, I think the '06 on ebay would have been about $10k after repairs.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Caveno said:
That's a decent price for this time of year. If you wait a little, like december, you could get it a little cheaper.
He's in Arizona. I'm betting this is the best time to buy out there, with the temps and all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We actually do get a dip in prices in the dead of our "winter" (which means daytime temps are 30s to 50s - some of you are rolling on the floor laughing) - but the summer is fairly brutal, and a lot of people will only ride in the early mornings right now.

Since this is from a dealer they have to report and collect the proper tax. AZ is not as flexible as other states (like CA) with regard to this. On the other hand, no tax is collected on private-party transactions like it is in CA. I once had the opportunity to mis-report the price to beat CA's used-vehicle tax hit...but I'm just too honest :)

There is a certain appeal to the 2000 over newer bikes in the simplicity of the systems (compared to the 05 and above bike), and the fact that I already own and wrench on a 2000 RT-P...similar electrics, same ABS2 system, etc. While it seems that people still do their own maint on the newer bikes, it looks to be significantly trickier in some areas.

On top of that, I shouldn't have to go through as much acquisition of special tools and gear, since I spent a small fortune kitting up to maintain the RT, and already have the battery tender, Nm torque wrenches, hex keys, etc.

I've scanned to forum already to better understand the model year differences, and don't see any particular red-flags on the 2000s yet. Anyone have strong feelings for or against this vintage?

·
Registered
809 Posts
azpilot06 said:
Anyone have strong feelings for or against this vintage?
I like the independent ABS system (vs linked/integrated), cheaper insurance, and, of course, cheaper price.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Caveno said:

Also, with taxes, some states will charge you taxes based on the bill of sale, not the book value. On my bill of sale I put $200, so I made almost no taxes. Check w your DMV to see how they tax you, if thats the case don't register the bike from the dealer.
TAX FRAUD!!! YOU BETTER HOPE THAT THEY NEVER CHECK YOUR BILL OF SALE WITH KBB. AND WHY POST IT ON A PUBLIC BOARD?

·
Registered
220 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
TAX FRAUD!!! YOU BETTER HOPE THAT THEY NEVER CHECK YOUR BILL OF SALE WITH KBB. AND WHY POST IT ON A PUBLIC BOARD?
He's from NY!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
azpilot06 said:
-------------
Since this is from a dealer they have to report and collect the proper tax. AZ is not as flexible as other states (like CA) with regard to this. On the other hand, no tax is collected on private-party transactions like it is in CA. I once had the opportunity to mis-report the price to beat CA's used-vehicle tax hit...but I'm just too honest :)-------------------------
I did not find CA to be very flexible at all! I actually did buy a car once at a VERY good price, but when I went to register it, the clerk looked the car up on her computer and taxed me based on the computer's value, NOT my bill of sale. She said that if the bill of sale is too far below the computer stated value, you pay on the higher value. Too many people cheating them, so they closed the loophole.

And you cannot register a vehicle in CA without paying the tax, either before, with reciept from the state, or at registration.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good price.

When you pause to think about it; what other motorcycle for 7K in nice condition would even come CLOSE to being as great a bike as the LT is?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Indeed. Barring unforseen and evil circumstance, she's coming home to join the RT-P in the 3rd bay of my garage tonight! :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
Yeah, and in finance.
Hmmm?

Lives in NY.
His occupation is finance.
Has practiced and advises TAX FRAUD.
Believes cheating is ok.

Just the kinda guy we want on this board.
The kind I pay for everytime I buy something.

Back on thread...................
azpilot06 said:
Indeed. Barring unforseen and evil circumstance, she's coming home to join the RT-P in the 3rd bay of my garage tonight! :D
Hope you enjoy your LT as much as I do.
I paid $1,381.00 in sales tax.
I sleep very well at night.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hmm. I didn't pay a dime in taxes, and I think the 4 year license was $30 or so... Spoiled?? Yes & lovin it... :histerica

I really like the '05 and newer bikes. For me, I wouldn't look at anything older. Finally, low miles sometimes isn't a good thing. Has the bike been sitting for a while? Hiway miles??

Anyway, a paid looksee by a good wrench is worth every nickel!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the 2000 LT came home tonight, and she's currently cozied up in the barn next to her German cop-sister.

I swear I heard someone say "Wie geht es Ihnen?" as I was closing the garage door...

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just my personal opinion, too old with too few miles unless you are a pretty good wrench. Age related problems such as leaky seals and gaskets are going to happen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts