BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the set time for blue locktite? If I install all the rotor bolts at once and then torque them in sequence will the locktite set before I get all of them tight? Or as izeiler suggest should I not even use it?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
budzee said:
What is the set time for blue locktite? If I install all the rotor bolts at once and then torque them in sequence will the locktite set before I get all of them tight? Or as izeiler suggest should I not even use it?
You have plenty of time to do them all. Unless Loctite "Primer T" accelerator is used, it takes at least 15 minutes to start setting up on clean parts. Even it it has started to "gel", it will still be movable. It does not fully harden for an hour or more in most cases.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
budzee said:
Or as izeiler suggest should I not even use it?
I think that was Steve_R that said he did not use it. I recommended the solid in the lipstick package. And yes you have plenty of time with that as well.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just a dumb question- is lock-tite called for by BMW at this location on the bike ? :confused: With proper torque 1st and considering the steel bolts in aluminum threads and the corrosion from the dissimilar metals, seems to me the bolts aint coming out anyway. I usually have a hard time getting them broken loose to remove them.

Just a thought :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
True but considering the vibration potential I am sure they just wanted to make sure they would stay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts