BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we completed Mike's (Sheldan2) 2002 K1200LT repair. He noticed tranny gear oil dripping out of the hole he drilled in the interdediate housing. Cause of the leak was a worn bushing on the input shaft (front side) on the tranny. Here's what we did:

1. Replaced Engine Main Seal while in there :)
2. Replaced all clutch components while in there :)
3. Replaced transmission with a used one. :)
4. Installed all new seals in the tranny (John Bowles tool worked GREAT!) :)
5. Replaced rear shock (not associated with this breakdown) :)
6. Diagnosed and repaired an electrical problem we created :( :)
7. Relocated Stiebel air horn (loud as crap!) :eek:
8. Changed oil and filter :)
9. Installed "Hippo Hands" :) (How did they work Mike?)

Thanks to all on this site who helped. It truly was a blessing to be able to gain your assistance. Special thanks to Mike St. Just, Joe Gottenberg, Wes Phillips, John Bowles and everyone else!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Jack what was the milage on the tranny? What caused the bushing to go?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
70k on the original tranny, 11k on the used one so the seller said, but it sure runs a lot smoother. I did notice that on the old one there was a bit of vibration when riding around 75mph on the speedometer and it got worse the faster I went, now there is none at all and I did open it up for a mile or so after riding about 15 miles down the freeway.

The hippo hand work great, though did have to adjust the mirrors a bit , no gloves needed at 45 degrees on the way home

So as Jack had said before to all involved, a big THANK YOU, and to Jack who had to put up with my bike in pieces taking over his garage for the last 6 weeks while we had to wait for parts to come in .

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know Mike, you always wondered why your LT wasn't as smooth as others. I bet that bushing had been going for awhile. It sure was worn out.

And you said the Hippo Hands did make a difference?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts