BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a partial shipment from DDM. Waiting for the H3 to arrive. After reviewing most of the great instructions on installation, no one seemed to mention disconnecting the positive battery connection mentioned in the DDM instructions. Is this step necessary?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Only if you're known to short things out..
The DDM kit comes with a relay setup that you'll be wanting to connect to the battery terminals anyway, So you'll be taking that off...

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess as I get into it it will become more clear. The ballast is connected to what I thought was the igniter which appears to plug into the bulb. The red and black wires on the inside of the grommet were I thought to be connected to the original bulb plug and supply the power as they run into the ballast. Since this is the low beam only, I don't have a comparison of the H3, which now I am not sure will be a good idea since now I find out you can't flash and definitely not use a modulator. Ah, the learning curve.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
jyack242 said:
I guess as I get into it it will become more clear. The ballast is connected to what I thought was the igniter which appears to plug into the bulb. The red and black wires on the inside of the grommet were I thought to be connected to the original bulb plug and supply the power as they run into the ballast. Since this is the low beam only, I don't have a comparison of the H3, which now I am not sure will be a good idea since now I find out you can't flash and definitely not use a modulator. Ah, the learning curve.
Maybe just hold off on the H3 install and keep ballast and igniter as spares. I am sure you can ask DDM to swap the H3 for a H7 and also keep that as a spare. With the HID H7 you won't even notice when the halogen high beam is on. I know I flash quite a bit when I split lanes in California, and I wanted to retain that capability.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The high beam is like a Locomotive headlight.. YOU WANT IT...:yeah:

Get some other lights to flash if you need something to flash or modulate.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts