BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm a new member from QLD Australia and have found this forum a great source of info so far, hope you can shed some light on this problem I have.

I have searched this forum pretty extensively but have not found anything close to what my issue is.

I have an 02 K1200LT and I want to remove the old factory Sat Nav box in the left side pannier to give me more space. From what I have searched on this site it seems that the AU and US models differed in setup and GPS components. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It all still works but very antiquated obviously. I don't need a stand alone GPS as I just Bluetooth my android to the Sena in my helmet. When I started to remove the box in the left side pannier and unhooked some of the wiring, I found that it stopped all but 1 speaker working. Sounds weird but I actually like the to have the speakers going even though I can listen to music through my Bluetooth to helmet.

Is there any way to get rid of the box and still have all speakers working. I have removed the 6 CD stacker from the right side and just have a Bluetooth cassette adapter for my music on the android phone. Works really well.
Any advice is most welcome, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
The LT did not come with anything mounted in the left side pannier. Please take a picture of what you are talking about. Since you are new to the forum, the picture needs to be small in size for you to post it.

The gps that you could purchase with the bike was a Garmin Street Pilot 3, and it was just installed in a cradle. Any wiring would have been installed in the center compartment that was used with the factory installed intercom. Again, a picture would help us help you.

·
IBR# 366
16,570 Posts
Yes, pictures of your dash, saddlebag area, and wiring would help, as none of the US guys would be familiar with this factory setup.

I do remember some European and Australian LTs coming with an integrated "factory" GPS solution. The GPS head unit was the Carin 520 (also used in some BMW cars of that era) with a simple monochrome text screen set on the LT's center console just above the radio display.

See this thread, this thread, this thread, and this thread for details.

It's hard to see, but in the top pic there is a toggle switch labeled GPS and AUDIO. So that factory GPS wiring would be tied into the bike's radio wiring. Maybe you can find a proper wiring diagram with this option in place, or maybe you can compare your wiring setup to US LTs that don't have this option at all.

Reactions: mtrevelino

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
yep Ken thats what we got out here oz my mate had one I didnt, the bikes were both new 3 months apart.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
I just checked my BMW factory wiring DVD and it does not list a OZ Sat Nav unit. Only choices I have for area is Europe and USA

·
IBR# 366
16,570 Posts
I believe that Sat Nav was available in Europe as well, although my BMW Repair Manual doesn't show it, either.

Wasn't there a separate Wiring Diagram available for the LT?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Wasn't there a separate Wiring Diagram available for the LT?
I never saw one from BMW but the Clymer's has one.

·
IBR# 366
16,570 Posts
I remember BMW did offer an LT wiring diagram at one point, but it was a separate part number from the service manual, and a separate charge. It was printed on larger paper, and used colors for the different wire runs.

Haven't seen one in years though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts