BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all...

Here is a yet another question about mounting GPS... :)

I have my 99 LT all ready for my trip to Spain, Pyrenees, Andorra and France in May and decided to take the plunge on a Sat-nav. I picked up a Motorrad Navigator IV ( very cheap ;) ) and cant for the life of me decide where to put the bugger....

I have 3 options from what I can see thanks to all the info provided form here...

1, Left hand side of handlebars

2, Above the clocks and taking out the dashboard light

3, just above the radio display on the the Stingray.

I'll be honest about option 1... I wouldn't be comfortable having it sat there on say the Ztechnic arm, it just doesn't look right at all.

So this leaves me with 2 & 3... I have always liked the look of the stingray mount but would the Nav IV be too big a piece of equipment mounted there ? Is the visiblity of the display good in that position ??

Mounting it via the internal bracket available that takes out the dashboard light looks a very neat job indeed and tupperware removal doesn't scare me at all. As above are there any issue's that have come to light with the unit being mounted there ??

I have seen the shelving brackets that can be screwed to the dashboard but I'm not one for having screw holes visible.

I guess you guy's get tired of this Q but trust me, trying to keep track of the post's regarding this and moving from thread to thread hurts my brain ! :D

Cheers guys

PmC

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I know you said you were not a fan of shelves, but perhaps it is worth reconsidering...

If you go with a CoPilot shelf, the mounting holes are not visible (unless you remove the shelf and go without, for whatever reason). IMHO is safest place to mount GPS, up and in the line of sight.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
I am planning a PMR co-pilot for this years farkle, I also have been thinking long and hard about drilling holes in a perfectly good dash but it looks like the best option on the market.
Take a look at supporting vendors product http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=010_CPK1200LT
John its very easy and they (BMR) provide very detailed instructions on the installation process. Just remember to mark the drill spot, check it two or three times for fitting, and drill once. I have done the shelf on two LT's now without any problems on either one.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Chipper,
Thanks for the encouragement, PMR shelf on next months purchase schedule. GPS was this months, still a little cold here with ice on the road to risk riding.

·
Registered
607 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Chipper,
Thanks for the encouragement, PMR shelf on next months purchase schedule. GPS was this months, still a little cold here with ice on the road to risk riding.

BMR, not PMR.

I installed my second BMR shelf on my third LT yesterday.

Great product.

Great GPS placement for safety and keeping your eyes on the road.

·
Registered
656 Posts
One of the other benefits of the co-pilot shelve is that it gets rid of the glare of the dash light on the wind screen during night driving. That and it gives you a bunch more options for gadgets to install.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
My apologies for the BMR (PMR) typo, wonder how I got the link correct but managed to type the initials incorrect twice. :confused:
Still looks like the best option out there for hanging stuff at eye level.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morning Guys....

I finally decided on the following for my Sat-nav mounting......

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/product_info.php?cPath=1_27_220_836&products_id=5733

I'm having a cuppa now before I take the plunge and fit it. For anyone who needs or wants a Navigator IV cradle then BMW are actually (for once) quite reasonably priced,

£85.00 for the 4-buttoned cradle ($120.00) the only downside is they only manufacture the cradle for use with the newer can-bus systems, so you will have to chop the connecters of and find a direct feed.

Thanks for you help and comments

PmC

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is exactly the way I mounted mine, same product and I absolutely love it there. It is in the perfect position, right next to my left hand, not in the way of anything and very easy to glance at without changing the level of your head. See my pics in this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=560577&postcount=11
Panman-Chips said:
Morning Guys....

I finally decided on the following for my Sat-nav mounting......

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/product_info.php?cPath=1_27_220_836&products_id=5733

I'm having a cuppa now before I take the plunge and fit it. For anyone who needs or wants a Navigator IV cradle then BMW are actually (for once) quite reasonably priced,

£85.00 for the 4-buttoned cradle ($120.00) the only downside is they only manufacture the cradle for use with the newer can-bus systems, so you will have to chop the connecters of and find a direct feed.

Thanks for you help and comments

PmC

·
Registered
335 Posts
smahon said:
This is exactly the way I mounted mine, same product and I absolutely love it there. It is in the perfect position, right next to my left hand, not in the way of anything and very easy to glance at without changing the level of your head. See my pics in this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=560577&postcount=11
That does look good. I am guessing you couldn'e use a BMW cupholder wiht that setup though. Or at least it would be pretty cumbersome wouldn't it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tips727 said:
That does look good. I am guessing you couldn'e use a BMW cupholder wiht that setup though. Or at least it would be pretty cumbersome wouldn't it?
You can indeed :D I'll post some pics up later :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts