BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"02" LT-C, 41.5 K on the clock, 3rd day of a 10 day tour of the Canadian Atlantic Provinces, Friday afternoon just outside of Halifax NS, 900 miles from my NJ home traveling with Saint Elizabeth my wife, we began to hear that grinding noise so expertly described in these forum threads. Twenty miles later I was on the phone with BMW Roadside Assistance who did a great job of dispatching a flat bed to my location in an hour and contacting the nearest dealer 160 km to the west in Dieppe, New Brunswick. My original plan of towing it there changed when speaking with the Service, I was told they could look at it but wouldn't work on it till Monday although ordering a final drive would be necessary.
Having the driver of the flat bed drop me off at the U-Haul rental in Dartmouth, and following a hefty charge to my plastic, I loaded the LT into a 17" box truck (of course the smallest truck available) and left the next morning on our 900 mile, 18 hr. (including a 2 hr wait at the Canada/USA border crossing) journey home. It could have been worse...BMW Roadside Assistance was great...I thankfully have 2 months left on my Extended Warranty...and I married a Saint. I will display the 4% icon and move on. Hmmm...there's a Honda dealer next door to my BMW dealer, I could probably kill some time there while waiting for my Final Drive to be repaired. Thanks for listening

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The worst is when people have to leave their bike and buy air fare back home at last minute prices!.

Wait till a new rear is installed, and then buy another ticket to fly out and pick it up.

Bob

·
Registered
826 Posts
I get chided by some for this, BUT given the final drive reputation, I would never leave on any extended trip without my spare drive and special tools to install. Life with an LT.

·
Registered
989 Posts
mrrick said:
"02" LT-C, 41.5 K on the clock, 3rd day of a 10 day tour of the Canadian Atlantic Provinces, Friday afternoon just outside of Halifax NS, 900 miles from my NJ home [...], we began to hear that grinding noise so expertly described in these forum threads. [...] I loaded the LT into a 17" box truck (of course the smallest truck available) and left the next morning on our 900 mile, 18 hr. (including a 2 hr wait at the Canada/USA border crossing) journey home.
Damn. I figured it out. It must be the fault of those Canadians. Or at least of our misguided desire to visit them...

Because, this was me:

00" LT, 48+K on the clock, 1st day of a 4-day loop of to reach Gaspe, QC, via New Brunswick. Friday afternoon just outside of Bangor, ME, 500 miles from my NJ home. No wife on pillion, but still these grinding noises.

Just rolled to the hotel, spent night researching shops and reserving U-haul truck. By middle of night, I figured out that there is no way I'll load the beast by myself; found an independent bike shop an hour away. (Phil Reid in Northport, recommended.) Called the guy at crack of dawn, he graciously drove up and took the bike. Dropped me off at Bangor Airport - I rented a car to head back home.

Still: a month later, the final drive replaced with a new one, I came up in another rental. Packed up the bike and completed my loop. Nailed that one, huh!

What was funny (annoying, pissing me off, infuriating...?) was that I called a few dealers to find replacement FD. The general response was: "Really? We never heard of any failures like that. But, guess what, quite coincidentally we have five spares on the shelf!".

Guess what...

·
Registered
805 Posts
rdwalker said:
Damn. I figured it out. It must be the fault of those Canadians. Or at least of our misguided desire to visit them...
Nope, can't be that. '99 LT just took me from the Atlantic to the Pacific thru Canada, nary a problem. But, I noticed that both of you guys happen to live in New Jersey . . . . ;)

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Club??

Maybe we 4%'ers should form a club.....set a meeting and see who can get to the meeting place w/o another FD failure!

Mine went out at 19,000. Now I'm nervous as I'll soon have another 19,000 on the clock. Is it going to go out again??

I wasn't on a trip when mine failed but did have to get a trailer to tote it to the dealer. I also only had a couple months left on the warranty.

AIN'T LIFE GRAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
vernvernvern said:
Maybe we 4%'ers should form a club.....set a meeting and see who can get to the meeting place w/o another FD failure!

Mine went out at 19,000. Now I'm nervous as I'll soon have another 19,000 on the clock. Is it going to go out again??

I wasn't on a trip when mine failed but did have to get a trailer to tote it to the dealer. I also only had a couple months left on the warranty.

AIN'T LIFE GRAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naw.... You'll be fine - once you've joined the 4 Percenters, you're automatically re-enrolled in the 96 Percenters - thereby radically reducing your odds of another failure.. he he

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Thanks

hallzee said:
Naw.... You'll be fine - once you've joined the 4 Percenters, you're automatically re-enrolled in the 96 Percenters - thereby radically reducing your odds of another failure.. he he
Brian,

LOL......I feel a lot better now. Thanks!
:bmw:

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I am sort of curious as to how you pack a final drive and take it with you out on the road??? I actually purchased a used final drive for my 2000, as a spare, but that darned thing must weight 20 lbs or more. Where do you pack your clothes????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts