BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some depressing news this week. While I had my 2008 K1200LT with 44K miles on it in to replace its clutch I was told the rear drive was also bad. So not only did I have a clutch go out way too early I also have a rear drive failure! Morton's BMW said it wasn't the usual suspect of the ring gear but something else. Oil was leaking out through the rear tire lug nuts and coating the brake disk making the rear brakes non-functional.

As usual no rear drives in CONUS so I have to wait 7-10 business days for one to be shipped from Germany. I haven't been paying attention lately but are the rear drive failures any less prevalent than 5 years ago?

This is my 3rd rear drive failure in the past 5 years, although only the first on this bike. As much as I like the bike overall it's getting expensive to keep the rear drive repaired.

What is everyone's experience lately with regard to BMW covering the repair out of warranty? Hopefully they will work with me on this. They covered one of my earlier replacements even though the bike had 75K miles on it.

WildBill

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You might be better off sending your drive to Anton in Charlottesville to have it rebuilt. You can rest assured he will set it up correctly. You get a new one and you take your chances on what you get. MHO

·
Registered
476 Posts
WildBill if I was in your shoes I'd do what Boatzo is suggesting - get it rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing (charlieVT is also renowned for this service) versus take chances on something that could have been in inventory for some time in Germany (most inventory systems run on a first in, first out basis so they churn the oldest stuff first). Best o luck to you - this must be very frustrating for you.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
WildBill said:
....Morton's BMW said it wasn't the usual suspect of the ring gear but something else. Oil was leaking out through the rear tire lug nuts.....
That is a relatively rare but known failure. I've seen one, read a post of another on this site. This type of failure was written up in BMWON a while back.

The failure is the result of an inadequate press fit between the carbon steel and aluminum components of the crown gear assembly. Oil coming out the wheel lug nut holes is pathognomonic of this failure. When this happens the crown gear needs to be replaced. The crown gear is only available as a crowngear/pinion gear matched set. The set costs:

33127661910 CROWNGEAR SET - I=34:13=2,62 5.61 1 $632.65

Then the entire FD would need to be rebuilt including the input pinion area which requires measurements for the shim in the input pinion shaft to adjust the gear tooth contact pattern, then the shim under the tapered roller bearing to adjust backlash, and then lastly the shim under the crownwheel bearing to set the preload for the crowngear assembly bearings.

No, you don't want to rebuild this drive. This is one of those failures where rebuild is cost prohibitive. Replacing the drive is the practical way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Wildbill,
There are 4 or 5 drives on ebay listed from $650 to $400 you didn't mention what the dealer was charging? Sometimes I have seen them go for $200-$300.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I stand corrected, Thanks for your input Curtis.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Geez Bill! Everyone knows it's pathognomonic! :histerica:histerica:histerica I think Charlie made this one up! Either that or it has been a looooooooong Vermont winter!

Loren

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Geez Bill! Everyone knows it's pathognomonic! :histerica:histerica:histerica I think Charlie made this one up! Either that or it has been a looooooooong Vermont winter!

Loren

Oops, sorry. The lexicon of another world slipped in there.
"Pathognomonic" is a good word, but I did have to double check the spilling. :histerica

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My vocabulary isn't as sophisticated as you guys, I guess S#*t Happens, would fit my style. :histerica

1 - 9 of 9 Posts