BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just returned from a 1,500 mile roundtrip on my 2000 LT with 90,000 on the clock when about a few miles from my destination I felt an uneven vibration that I couldn't determine the source. When I finally arrived I loosened the rear rubber boot to find that the rear universal joint was completely destroyed. I now have the LT at my BMW dealer and was told that not only is the drive shaft destroyed, but the coupling to the final drive as well. Dave will be checking over and repairing a spare drive that will be used. Does anyone have a good spare drive shaft unit that I could purchase?, I hate to pay full BMW price. I love my LT and recoil at the suggestion from the dealer that it may not be worth repairing.Send me a PM if you can help. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
There are a bunch listed on Ebay for reasonable prices.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
I bought a low mileage spare for under 100 a few years ago and I just used it as mine was getting notchy in the u-joint. I was fortunate as both parts were included. Good luck, I am sure one will come along.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Yeah, under $30.
I bought a spare myself but I looked for a newer one with both pieces so I paid about what jzeiler paid. I will probably be changing mine out next year and keeping the old for an emergency spare.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
NOT WORTH REPAIRING. WOW, Nice dealer.!!! Just repair it and keep riding. If you can do your own work, you can find most parts on ebay as the others have said. Do a good search, you can find both sections of the driveshaft/coupling to replace. I routinely check mine and when it starts to get some "flat" spots, go to ebay, couple clicks and replace it. Ride on.

Zeke

Reactions: Patric
1 - 6 of 6 Posts