BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REAL PAIN:

"A 37-year-old California man defaulted on nine homes and expects the bank to foreclose on all of them. He bought a Santa Cruz, California, home in 2000, then used $800,000 in tech-company stock options to put 10% to 40% down on negative amortization loans – loans in which payments don't cover the interest and the principal grows. After the fact, the man said, "I knew I was sitting on time bombs. I knew the market was going to go soft, and I knew that property values would decline. But I figured that I had enough equity to survive the storm and sell or take the loss and refinance. I didn't anticipate a downturn of epic proportions such that home values are 40% less than they were."

In his defense, he probably wouldn't be any better off if he had held onto those stock options. :D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
and then he killed himself for the insurance?

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
mwnahas said:
and then he killed himself for the insurance?
Nah, in some circles Darwin awards have taken on the connotation of someone simply doing something incredibly stupid, rather than the original interpretation where said stupid act must end in death.

So posting a Darwin Award story where someone doesn't actually die could now be considered a nomination for a Darwin Award. Simple, right? ;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Come one, he just needs to wait to get bailed out by taxpayers. It's the American way. What was it Reagan said?
[G]overnment's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
It seems the housing market is at the "stop moving" phase. Too bad Reagan was better at the talk than doing the walk.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Bobnoxous said:
... Too bad Reagan was better at the talk than doing the walk.
IIRC, In context, Reagan was taking a shot at congress when he said that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts