BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding south on I-75 between Bradenton and Sarasota FL., yesterday morning, traffic started to slow down because there was a dead deer in the middle of 3 lanes with an over turned van covered in dirt, almost hidden in the palmettos. There were 2-3 other cars banged up and people walking around in a daze.

A safety van had just pulled over so I kept going wondering about the chain of events. Not to be too gruesome, but it looked like the deer had been gutted in the middle of the road. It was a good size deer, at least 7-8 points.

This was moments before I got there and definitely put me more on the alert. Glad I paused to check a few things and kiss my wife good by before I left the house.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Its better than meeting a mountain lion, bear or a wolf :)

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Those deer really scare us up here in northern MI. It's dark when I ride to work now, I have slowed down quite a bit in the morning!

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
I saw two on my ride last week and again this morning. And this is around 9 AM in So California hills above Malibu.City deer!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Up here in NY its getting closer to mating season and they are definitly starting to move around more. I had one come jumping out of the woods yesterday morning, landing mid road 30 feet or so out in front of me.

It actually looked kind of slow motion as the damn thing was sort of flying off of the berm on the right! Its own momentum, more than anything I did kept it crossing safely away from me. Hell of a pucker moment!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dan,

I used to come back from Melbourne at 10:30 two nights a week (in my SUV). I saw so many deer on the side of the road I was concerned even in my XXL SUV

I never saw any accidents but believed it had to happen all the time.

Now if I am coming back from MIA on a late evening I take 520 from 95 across the back road just to avoid the stretch of the interstate.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
LTFan said:
Its better than meeting a mountain lion, bear or a wolf :)
Buddy and I were riding out of Hell's Canyon into Idaho, I in the lead, when I hollered (over the radio) "Bear on the left". I anchored it to see him, as did my buddy. By then the bear, maybe 60-70' off the road, stopped, stood up and was eye-balling me. My buddy got so excited that he started to roll his Goldwing backwards, and dropped the damned thing. Was hilarious watching him try to get the bike up. Had I been thinking, I'd have started the video camera, then screamed "Bear's coming". Bet I could'a won $10,000 off that video.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Heading east on Montana 200 I passed a sign warning of bighorn sheep for the next 9 miles. I thought to myself right like I'm going to see some bighorn sheep. A mile later coming around a right turn there was a small herd right next to the road.

Turns out less than a month later a motorcyclist was killed on that same stretch of road from a bighorn.

Deer and other stupid animals lurking by the roadside are probably the most dangerous thing we confront as riders.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe the animals are attracted to the deer whistles, high viability gear and intense headlights!

I never had this problem in WV when I rode with the stock light, blue jean jacket and no deer whistle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gruivis said:
Deer and other stupid animals lurking by the roadside are probably the most dangerous thing we confront as riders.
And the second most dangerous thing is other motorcycles. Here in central valley CA there are very few deers. Other motorcycles on the road do scare me as they thing they can share the lane while I am riding in the middle of the lane.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Not much reason to crunch another car just because a deer is in the road. Being stupid enough to hit another car or cause a vehicle collision avoiding a deer is a lot more risky to your health than simply center punching the road rat with your cage if you're surrounded or being closely followed- that will only get a busted radiator in most cases, not flipped. Deer here in the south are pretty runty compared to colder northern climates- not like you're hitting one of the 300 lb versions that run around Alberta. Bucks over 200 lbs are very rare indeed in NC and they're even smaller in FL.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G-One said:
I-75 South to Sarasota from Brandon.
I have seen them at night, around Ocala, along I-75 actually grazing beside the highway. These are not the tiny deer that you see in the Florida Keys, these probably weigh more than 100 pounds. Some weight quite a bit more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DanDiver said:
Maybe the animals are attracted to the deer whistles, high viability gear and intense headlights!

I never had this problem in WV when I rode with the stock light, blue jean jacket and no deer whistle.
Hey Dan, Maybe that was back when seeing a deer was a rarity. When I was a teenager hunting in Maryland back in the very early 60's, if you bagged a deer you were extremely lucky. Very few were killed during hunting season, maybe a few hundred. Now in Maryland it's in the thousands per season. Also, just sayin, maybe the boys down there hunted them for food year round. :D I live on the eastern shore of Maryland and the most dangerous thing you encounter on the road are deer. They are everywhere! The guy that comes up with a real deer preventive measure for vehicles will become a millionaire. :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Top ten states for car / deer accidents
1) Pennsylvania
2) Michigan
3) Illinois
4) Ohio
5) Georgia
6) Minnesota
7) Virginia
8) Indiana
9) Texas
10) Wisconsin

were #2 here in Michigan...We try harder:) ...

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Patric said:
Top ten states for car / deer accidents
1) Pennsylvania
2) Michigan
3) Illinois
4) Ohio
5) Georgia
6) Minnesota
7) Virginia
8) Indiana
9) Texas
10) Wisconsin

were #2 here in Michigan...We try harder:) ...
Actually, check out this great 2011 map from State Farm. It shows the probability of a deer collision for each state. West Virginia is #1, by the way, and Michigan is a lowly 5th place.

http://www.statefarm.com/aboutus/_pdf/deer-map-2011.pdf

If you hit a deer in Hawaii, can you be charged with violating the Endangered Species Act? (Yeah, yeah, I know that deer are an invasive species there, just kidding.)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Actually, check out this great 2011 map from State Farm. It shows the probability of a deer collision for each state. West Virginia is #1, by the way, and Michigan is a lowly 5th place.

http://www.statefarm.com/aboutus/_pdf/deer-map-2011.pdf

If you hit a deer in Hawaii, can you be charged with violating the Endangered Species Act? (Yeah, yeah, I know that deer are an invasive species there, just kidding.)

No, but you can have an interesting luau

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm heading down to Pennsylvania this weekend to ride.
You guys have got me nervous about deer.
I'm planning on keeping the speed down.
Is there anything else I can do to cut down the chances of deer strikes?
"Don't ride" is not an option.
Thanks,
Ellie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.