BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Another crash test proves modular helmet 'does the job'

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  messenger13 
#1 ·
Just received the new Aerostich catalog (2007). At the bottom of Page 18, there's a crash report from a Dwight Conant. He had a run-in with a deer in West Texas. His Honda ST1300 was totaled, but his Nolan N102 modular (flip-up) helmet fared rather well. Many people are leery of modulars, figuring that they'll fail in a crash. Honestly, I have yet to hear of a modular failing in a crash.

Thought some of you might want to know. Frankly, I'm on my second Nolan modular and I'm not going back.

#2 ·
Yikes

From the title of your thread I was fearing the worst: your GT involved in a crash. Oh yeah -- and you hurt... or worse. :D

I'll stick with my Nolan N102 also, until it's worn out or it's due for a change. I really like the versatility of a modular helmet but would also like to try a standard full-face helmet to see if it's quieter; I suspect it would be.

Thanks.

PS: Anything left in Joe's Swap Shop? Looks like you're selling out to the bare walls.

#5 ·
messenger13 said:
Just received the new Aerostich catalog (2007). At the bottom of Page 18, there's a crash report from a Dwight Conant. He had a run-in with a deer in West Texas. His Honda ST1300 was totaled, but his Nolan N102 modular (flip-up) helmet fared rather well. Many people are leery of modulars, figuring that they'll fail in a crash. Honestly, I have yet to hear of a modular failing in a crash.

Thought some of you might want to know. Frankly, I'm on my second Nolan modular and I'm not going back.
Saw the same photo story in my new catalog last night. I've crash tested the Shoei Duotec/Aero Darien combo myself: 45mph tank slapper with a high-side finish into a ditch. Totaled the helmet and pants and ripped up a jacket sleeve. Put a nice digger into the fresh blacktop, too :cool:. I had a persistent mild headache and shoulder pain for the next two weeks, otherwise ATGATT paid off. I sent the Darien jacket in for repairs and wore it another 5 years. I replaced the Shoei with an Arai Signet (I didn't know a helmet could be so light and comfortable!). Most of the modulars I've tried since, including Nolans don't fit me very well or are too darn heavy (Schuberth). I tried an AVG and it fits okay. When I'm up for a new lid, I will certainly be considering a modular again.

#6 ·
tkramer said:
Most of the modulars I've tried since, including Nolans don't fit me very well or are too darn heavy (Schuberth). I tried an AVG and it fits okay. When I'm up for a new lid, I will certainly be considering a modular again.
Make sure when trying on the Nolans to try an N100 AND N102. They are shaped very differently.

#8 ·
messenger13 said:
Make sure when trying on the Nolans to try an N100 AND N102. They are shaped very differently.
I find that comment interesting.

I have had 2 N100Es and it's time to replace the second N100E. I tried on a N102 N-COM and I got what I expected. To me it felt just like the N100e.. :confused:

#9 ·
jackd said:
I find that comment interesting.

I have had 2 N100Es and it's time to replace the second N100E. I tried on a N102 N-COM and I got what I expected. To me it felt just like the N100e.. :confused:
My friend Nancy went to replace here HJC Symax, simply because it gave her a headache if she wore it too long. She tried on the N100E and didn't like it at all. She then tried on the N102 and fell in love. She says that it's the perfect helmet for her. That's the experience that I base my statements on.

#10 ·
I'm just the opposite from Nancy. . . My SyMax fits great, but I find the Nolan 102 too short front to back. I did try on a Shoei MultiTec and it fit great.

Modular helmets may be noisier, but I sure like the convenience, and always reassuring to hear success stories with them.

#11 ·
Slight hijack - referring to the same 2007 Aerostich catalog - has anyone noticed a certain picture on the cover?

Starting in the upper left count 2 more spaces to the right, then 3 spaces down.

Must be a tribute to Burt Munro and the lemon tree...

#12 ·
messenger13 said:
My friend Nancy went to replace here HJC Symax, simply because it gave her a headache if she wore it too long. She tried on the N100E and didn't like it at all. She then tried on the N102 and fell in love. She says that it's the perfect helmet for her. That's the experience that I base my statements on.
I was at a dealer yesterday picking up a part and tried on a bunch of helmets. I find the N102 N-COM fit me exactly like the N100E, same size and everything. I tried on a lot of helmets with help from the counter guy... with his helmet fitter tape and technique. He actually wanted me to pull down a helmet that didn't fit. If I did that, besides being uncomfortable, I probably would have changed the shape of the inside of the helmet..

That would have given the next shopper another experience.. Something like that might have been what happened to your friend.. that is to make N100E and N102 really different. I have bought helmets before that seemed to fit good in the store... then when I bought it and received a new one in a box from the back and found that I was dissatisfied almost immediately..

Net of this is... I am very cautious with 'demo' helmets. If they look shop worn, no tags, smudged (dirty) visor or it the end of the season I wait..

#13 ·
Me too

sanjaun2 said:
The Nolans are nice but I like the Caberg much better, Its its a few bucks cheaper.
Also Caberg here. :yeah:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.