BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been picking away the last two weeks on another clutch job because of the leaking o-ring. This LT has 112,000 miles & the clutch disc has very little wear. The new disc I'm installing is only .026" or .65mm thicker than the disc with 112,000 miles on it.

I had the customer buy parts at Moto-Bins & with shipping they cost $371.43. The disc is a Siebenrock oil resistant. The other parts from the BMW dealer were around $100.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Picture 8 has me stumped. What is the plate with the empty holes? Is that your tool for setting the main seal?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Picture 8 has me stumped. What is the plate with the empty holes? Is that your tool for setting the main seal?
Since the nut is on with no clutch, I am going to agree with you that it is a driver he made or had made to push the new main seal in with the nut without beating it to death.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Your both wrong the plate is to keep debris away from the rear main while I clean the clutch bell housing.
I don't have one of those. ;)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Well, it's late, and I thought I'd check the forum before turning in. Noticed this thread. I'm new to the forum & just bought my first BMW. I rode for years with a friend who owned a K1200. Soon after he bought his (a used '03) he had to have a new clutch. Moaned ever since about how much the dealer charged for the job. After seeing the pics, I have a much better understanding. I'm impressed by the work required to get to it. Also, by the neat work area. Thanks for the pictures.

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
That is the center piece from the clutch housing.
I kinda figured that was what it was. I have a spare so I may just make one.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2000 LT left today after 6 weeks on my lift, New clutch, Rebuilt FD, New Speigler brake lines All new fluids & a lot of other upgrades. I fired it up around 2:00 this afternoon & everything worked perfect. This LT had always been serviced at a dealer & it was a mess.

It still needs a few more upgrades before I would ride it anywhere without any worries & I gave him some good used parts to carry for now.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
The 2000 LT left today after 6 weeks on my lift, New clutch, Rebuilt FD, New Speigler brake lines All new fluids & a lot of other upgrades. I fired it up around 2:00 this afternoon & everything worked perfect. This LT had always been serviced at a dealer & it was a mess.

It still needs a few more upgrades before I would ride it anywhere without any worries & I gave him some good used parts to carry for now.
I'm glad I'm not the only slow one. I spent just shy of six weeks doing my clutch, new shocks, Spieglers, home made crankcase ventilation manifold, valve check and other 24K service, thorough cleaning of the filthy throttle bodies, oxygen sensor, etc.

Hitting the starter after all that gives one pause, but it sure is a relief when it fires and purrs like a kitten. :smile:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only slow one. I spent just shy of six weeks doing my clutch, new shocks, Spieglers, home made crankcase ventilation manifold, valve check and other 24K service, thorough cleaning of the filthy throttle bodies, oxygen sensor, etc.

Hitting the starter after all that gives one pause, but it sure is a relief when it fires and purrs like a kitten. :smile:
Mine was also on the lift for an extended period when I did my clutch and other things. This time it was up for 25 days, part of which was waiting for a replacement pinion bearing due to stupidity. I made and caught some mistakes along the way so being in a rush isn't always productive. With all I did, I too was happy when it cranked and ran when the button was pushed.

Well after the oil circulated it purred :wink: Before that, it sounded like :kaboom:

Dave, did you measure the wear on the hard parts, re-use or replace? I think you reused as at least the cover doesn't look bad or overheated from slipping.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave, did you measure the wear on the hard parts, re-use or replace? I think you reused as at least the cover doesn't look bad or overheated from slipping.
I replaced everything on the receipt in the picture from Moto-Bins & the total parts cost including all new fluids, seals, oil filter, 3 intake clamps, shifter washers, slave cylinder, nut & compression ring & speigler brake lines was $830.96. Buying the clutch parts from Moto-Bins was a huge savings.

Of the 6 weeks it was here I only worked on it 4 of those weeks. I spent more time cleaning everything than any other work. The only wear I measured for was the clutch disc. The FD rebuild was a separate bill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts